Welcome to Second Grade Music!
Second grade music meets twice a week for 30 minutes. Mr. Cunningham's class meets on Mondays and Tuesdays from 9:30-10:00. Ms. Kumpula's class meets Wednesdays and Fridays from 9:30-10:00. All parents are welcome to join their students in class at any time.
Second grade music begins the year focusing on literacy of simple rhythms. Students will learn to "decode" rhythms containing quarter notes and eighth note pairs. They will learn traditional children's songs using those rhythms. Eventually, they will compose their own rhythms and perform on classroom rhythm instruments.
Throughout the year, second grade students in Bozeman schools will master the following:
1. They will match pitch when singing.
2. Know and demonstrate the difference between steady beat and rhythm.
3. Use appropriate musical vocabulary.
4. Study "The Nutcracker" by Russian composer Tchaikovsky. They will study the ballet form and attend a portion of the ballet as a field trip. They will be able to describe some facts about Tchaikovsky, as well as aurally identify "The Nutcracker" music.
5. Identify and describe ABA and AABA forms in music.
6. Identify by sound and sight the following instruments: Alto Saxophone, Double Bass, Trombone, Bass Drum.
7. Audience etiquette: when to enter/exit a performance, appropriate behavior while listening, when to clap.
8. Identify and perform quarter notes, half notes, eighth notes, and whole notes.
9. Define and demonstrate the tempi: Largo and Allegro. Define and demonstrate the dynamics mezzo piano and mezzo forte.
10. Identify bar line, double bar line, and measure.
11. They will apply music learning in novel situations, explore independent improvisation, and make musical connections to the broader world.
Please check back later for further information!
Winter Concert Lyrics
1st and 2nd Grades with 5th Graders accompanying on instruments
We Wish You a Merry Christmas
We wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Good tidings we bring to you and your kin. Good tidings for Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Now bring us some figgy pudding and bring some right here!
We won’t go until we get some!
1st and 2nd Graders Alone
Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy from Nutcracker (Movement display, no singing)
Oh Come Little Children (secular lyrics)
Oh come little children, Oh come one and all.
Oh come little children to answer our call.
We’ll sing of this season of joy and of light.
We’ll sing of this season so merry and bright!