Welcome to Preschool Music!
We meet Friday mornings from 11:00-11:30.
Preschool music is experiential. We are more focused on getting children comfortable in the music class setting than we are at getting students to perform at a certain level. Within the course of the preschool class students will...
1. Explore their voices in order to gain access to their entire vocal range.
2. Echo sing in order to develop in-tune singing.
3. Learn simple children's songs tailor-made to the young voice. Play cooperative games and/or instruments with these songs.
4. Arioso - using sing-song voices to communicate. This develops comfort with improvisation later on in music education.
5. Movement exploration - using our bodies to express different musical qualities.
6. Fingerplays/Action songs - traditional finger plays and action songs develop fine and gross motor skills.
7. Beat exploration - learning to keep a steady beat is the backbone of all future musical endeavors
8. Song tales - we end class listening to a singer singing a traditional American folk song. This demonstrates what good technique sounds like, relaxes students before they go back to class, and develops a repertoire of songs with which students are familiar.