Welcome to Kindergarten Music:
Kindergarten music meets twice a week for 30 minutes. Mrs. Alexander's class meets on Mondays and Wednesdays from 12:30-1:00. Mrs. Lawton's class meets on Thursdays and Fridays from 12:30-1:00. All parents are welcome to attend any music class with their child.
Kindergarten music is experiential. The first few months are more focused on getting children comfortable in the music class setting than at getting students to perform at a certain level. By the end of the year, students are expected to have mastered several of the musical tasks we explore. Within the course of the Kindergarten class students will...
1. Explore their voices. The goal is to access high head voice as well as low chest voice.
2. Echo sing. The goal is to learn to sing in tune.
3. Learn simple children's songs tailor-made to the young voice. Play cooperative games and/or instruments with these songs. The goal is to leave Kindergarten having memorized several simple children's songs. All songs should be sung in tune.
4. Arioso - using sing-song voices to communicate. This develops comfort with improvisation later on in music education. All students will be able to improvise sing on two or more pitches by the end of the year.
5. Movement exploration - using our bodies to express different musical qualities. All students will be able to demonstrate different musical ideas through the movement of their bodies.
6. Fingerplays/Action songs - traditional finger plays and action songs develop fine and gross motor skills. All students will leave Kindergarten music knowing several traditional finger plays and action songs.
7. Beat exploration - learning to keep a steady beat is the backbone of all future musical endeavors. All students will be able to find and demonstrate a steady beat in multiple tempi.
8. Song tales - we end class listening to a singer singing a traditional American folk song. This demonstrates what good technique sounds like, relaxes students before they go back to class, and develops a repertoire of songs with which students are familiar.
Songs We Know!
Frog in the Meadow
Frog in the meadow, can't get him out. Take a little stick and stir him about!
Chop, Chop Chippity Chop
Chop, chop, chippity chop. Cut off the bottom and cut off the top. What there is left, put in the pot. Chop, chop, chippity chop!
Pitter patter, pitter patter, listen to the rain. Pitter patter, pitter patter, on my window pane.
Winter Concert Lyrics!
Running Start PreK and Kindergarteners will perform together.
Up Above My Head
Up above my head there’s music in the air. I really do believe it’s a-headin’ somewhere.
Up On the Housetop
Up on the housetop reindeer pause, out jumps good old Santa Claus. Down thru' the chimney With lots of toys, All for the little ones, Christmas joys. Ho, ho, ho! Who wouldn't go! Ho, ho, ho! Who wouldn't go! Up on the housetop, Click, click, click. Down thru' the chimney with good Saint Nick.
Hanukkah, Hanukkah (accompanied by 5th graders)
Hanukkah, Hanukkah, festival of lights. Families gathering candles for eight nights. Hanukkah, Hanukkah children sing and play. Dreidel spin, spin spin spin, joyous holiday!