Welcome to First Grade Music!
First grade music meets twice a week for 30 minutes. Ms. Fraser's class meets Mondays from 2:30-3:15 PM and on Fridays from 1:45-2:15. Mr. Nash's class meets from 1:00-1:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. All parents are invited to attend a music class with their child at any time.
First grade music begins the year focusing on literacy of simple rhythms. Students will learn to "decode" rhythms containing quarter notes and eighth note pairs. They will learn traditional children's songs using those rhythms. Eventually, they will compose their own rhythms and perform on classroom rhythm instruments.
Students in first grade are also still focusing on the basics learned in Kindergarten, mainly keeping a steady beat and singing in tune. Multiple songs and games are used to enhance their abilities in these areas.
Throughout the course of the year, first graders will learn about and master the following...
1. Identify the work "Appalachian Spring" by American composer Aaron Copland. They will also learn several facts about the composer's life.
2. Identify by sight and sound the following instruments: Flute, Clarinet, Violin, Trumpet, Snare Drum, Crash Cymbals, Xylophone, Grand Piano, Harp, Acoustic Guitar
3. Audience etiquette: when to enter/exit a performance, appropriate behavior while listening, when to clap.
4. Identify and perform quarter notes and half notes.
5. Define and demonstrate the dynamics piano and forte.
6. Identify the musical staff.
7. They will apply music learning in novel situations, explore independent improvisation, and make musical connections to the broader world.
Songs We Know
Yankee Doodle: Yankee Doodle went to town, riding on a pony. Stuck a feather in his hat and called it macaroni!
Miss White: Miss White had a fright, in the middle of the night. Saw a ghost, eating toast, halfway up the lamp post!
Closet Key: I have lost my closet key in my lady's garden.
See a Pin: See a pin, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck. See a pin, let it lay, bad luck you'll have all day.
Winter Concert Lyrics
1st and 2nd Grades with 5th Graders accompanying on instruments
We Wish You a Merry Christmas
We wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Good tidings we bring to you and your kin. Good tidings for Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Now bring us some figgy pudding and bring some right here!
We won’t go until we get some!
1st and 2nd Graders Alone
Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy from Nutcracker (Movement display, no singing)
Oh Come Little Children (secular lyrics)
Oh come little children, Oh come one and all.
Oh come little children to answer our call.
We’ll sing of this season of joy and of light.
We’ll sing of this season so merry and bright!