Welcome to Fifth Grade Music
Fifth grade music meets twice a week for 30 minutes. Ms. Wiers' class meets from 8:45-9:15 on Mondays and Thursdays. Ms. Wemple's class meets from 8:45-9:15 Tuesdays and Thursdays. Parents are always welcome to attend a music class with your child.
The majority of time in 5th grade general music will be spent reinforcing the musical knowledge needed to be successful in their band or orchestra classes. Time will also be spent practicing vocal development (singing).
Throughout the year, fifth grade students in Bozeman schools will master the following:
1. They will match pitch when singing.
2. Know and demonstrate the difference between steady beat and rhythm.
3. Use appropriate musical vocabulary.
4. Study and identify "The Magic Flute" by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Students will also be able to describe some details of Mozart's life.
5. Identify and describe theme and variation form in music.
6. Identify by sound and sight the following instruments/voices: Bassoon, Harpsichord
7. Audience etiquette: when to enter/exit a performance, appropriate behavior while listening, when to clap. We will practice this knowledge by attending a performance of the opera in the fall.
8. Identify and perform quarter notes, half notes, eighth notes, whole notes, dotted quarter notes, dotted half notes, tied notes, and sixteenth notes, and demonstrate the difference between duple and triple meters.
9. Define and demonstrate the articulations and dynamic markings: Marcatto and Tenuto.
10. Identify D.S. and Coda.
11. They will apply music learning in novel situations, explore independent improvisation, and make musical connections to the broader world.