Welcome to the Blue Ridge Virtual Governor's School "Funding Our Future: Current Issues in Biotechnology" project website. The goals of the project are as follows:
- Students will research and draw data-based conclusions about a current issue in biotechnology
- Students will collaborate in a team format to identify opportunities for future actions in relation to their assigned biotechnology topic. Those future actions might include (but are not limited to):
- Further research
- Public advocacy programs
- Public education programs
- Student teams will create plans for funding and logistics for a specific plan of future action for their topic
- Students will formally present results of research and specific plans for future actions in the context of a competition for grant funding.
The project will involve the following steps:
- Pre-project activities: students will practice formulating data-based conclusions about controversial issues in biotechnology.
- Students will be assigned to project topics and teams, and will research those prior to the project kickoff meeting.
- Students and teachers will meet at UVa to review project requirements and to research their topics in depth.
- Students will write individual papers outlining the background, pros and cons, and possible future next steps in their topic.
- Students will work in teams to decide on a specific next step in their topic area and to create a grant proposal for that step.
- Students will create a website and presentation outlining their grant proposal, and will formally present their grant proposal to a "committee" of their peers.