Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a federal law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of disability. It applies to any entity that receives federal funding including public schools. The Americans with Disabilities Act, enacted in 1991, provides the same obligations on public elementary and secondary schools as Section 504, but without the limitation of applying only to recipients of federal funds.
Contacts for questions on Section 504 are as follows:
- Randi Kulis, Assistant Superintendent, BRSU
- Betsy Memoe, Co-Principal, Manchester Elementary Middle School
- Deb Fishwick, , Co-Principal, Manchester Elementary Middle School
- Neal McIntyre, Principal, Flood Brook School
- Brooke DeBonis, Principal, Mettawee Community School
- Rosanna Moran, Principal, The Dorset School
- Carolyn Parillo, Principal, Currier School
- Jennifer Turner, Principal, Sunderland Elementary School
Below you will find a copy of the 2015 edition of the Vermont Section 504 Manual for Parents, Families, and Schools.