McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
The McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Act ensures educational rights and protections for children and youth experiencing homelessness. This legislation requires that all homeless children and youth have the same access to a free, appropriate public education as other children and youth in Vermont. The goals of this legislation include:
- Identifying homeless children and youth
- Immediate enrollment and facilitation of enrollment disputes
- Ensuring access to school and appropriate educational services
- Reducing school transfers and supporting educational stability and continuity
- Increasing parental choice and involvement regarding school enrollment
- Ensuring the educational rights of unaccompanied youth, and
- Providing information about the rights of homeless children and youth
For more information on Education for Homeless Children and Youth visit the Vermont Agency of Education website.
Please contact Randi Kulis, Assistant Superintendent at 802-362-2452 ext. 1523 for questions regarding the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act.