Coordinated program review - 2017
The Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) as part of their auditing requirements conducts school based interviews and classrooms observations to gauge specific compliance standards as identified in the English Learner Program Review Criteria and Implementation Guidance.
The Massachusetts DESE conducts the following:
- interviews of administrative, instructional, and support staff. This is consistent with those criteria selected for onsite verification.
- observations of classrooms and other facilities. The on-site team visits a sample of classrooms and other school facilities used in the delivery of ELE programs and services to determine general levels of compliance with program requirements.
- a review of EL records. DESE may select a sample of student records from those the district reviewed as part of its self-assessment as well as records chosen by DESE from the ELE student roster. Using standard DESE procedures the on-site team will conduct this review to determine whether procedural and programmatic requirements have been implemented.
- interviews of EL parent representatives. Telephone interviews will be conducted as requested by other EL parents or members of the general public.
- surveys of parents of ELs. Parents of ELs whose files are selected for the record review, as well as the parents of an equal number of other ELs are sent a survey that solicits information regarding their experiences with the district’s implementation of ELE programs, related services, and procedural requirements.
CPR Principal/Headmaster/LATF Memorandum: Memo that provides information specific to supports and expectations around preparing for your visit
Important Dates to Remember
- March 24, 2017: OELL School Visit Information Sheet to be completed and submitted to OELL on/or before 3/24/17.
- March 24, 2017: Submission of ELD Folders to OELL due on/or before 03/24/17.
- April 4, 2017 - April 5, 2017: DESE ELD Student Folder Review
- April 24, 2017 - April 27, 2017: DESE Onsite School Interview and Classroom Observations
- April 27, 2017: DESE Central Office Administrative Interviews
- April 28, 2017: DESE Exit Interview
26 Schools Selected for a DESE Visit between April 24, 2017 - April 27, 2017
Below are the 26 BPS schools selected to participate in the review.
TLT 1A: Hurley K-8, Orchard Gardens K-8, Timilty Middle
TLT 1B: Frederick Pilot, McCormack Middle
TLT 2A: James Chittick, Henry Grew, Washington Irving
TLT 2B: Dennis Haley, Mildred Ave, Charles Taylor
TLT 3B: Curley, Edison, Hernandez K-8, Jackson Mann, McKinley (K-12), Sarah Greenwood, Tobin
TLT 3B: James Otis, Mario Umana Academy
TLT 4A: BINCA, Dearborn, Madison Park
TLT 4B: Brighton, East Boston, Margarita Muniz