What are we doing in Math?
We're in Unit 1: Whole Number Place Value. We are adding and subtracting , rounding, expressing values in different forms (standard, written, expanded, extended expanded and exponential expanded), and using the order of operations (PEMDAS) with whole numbers.
Unit 2, Multiplying and Dividing Whole Numbers starts Sept 23rd.
In 5th grade there will be a quiz every other week on any materials covered from 4th grade through our current practice.
Upcoming 9/19 Quiz standards:
- Adding and Subtracting Whole Numbers (3)
- Order of Operations (1)
- Patterns with Zero (1)
- Place Value with Whole Numbers (3)
- Rounding (2)
Upcoming 10/3 Quiz standards:
- Adding and Subtracting Whole Numbers (2)
- Area & Perimeter (2)
- Dividing Whole Numbers (2)
- Multiplying Whole Numbers (2)
- Whole Number Word Problems (2)
Math Homework is Online:
All of the math homework this year is online! There are two programs.
- Reflex: this is a way to master your quick facts (for example: 4 x 8 = 32)! Students should log on 3 times a week and earn a green light. Each green light takes about 20-30 minutes. Once students reach 100% fluency they are exempt from Reflex homework for the rest of the year! Log in info is taped in their green folders.
- STMath: this is a way for students to grapple with math concepts visually. It's especially helpful for students with learning disabilities and English language learners. Teachers will help you pace your progress, but each student should do 90 minutes of STmath each week to make 3% progress through the curriculum every week. We strive to help students complete at least 45 minutes at school each week, but this may not happen on short school weeks or over vacation. We have a club after school for students who need access to a computer or a structured time for math homework.
Scroll down for log-in information.
5th Grade Skills:
The underlined words are linked to videos that explain that skill or extra practice. Please let me know if any of the videos are unclear or not working.
- Unit 1: Whole Number Place Value
- Unit 2: Multiplying and Dividing Whole Numbers
- Unit 3: Introduction to Fractions
- Unit 4: Introduction to Decimals
- Decimal Place Value
- Unit 5: Adding and Subtracting Fractions and Decimals
- Unit 6: Multiplying and Fractions and Decimals
- Unit 7: Dividing Fractions and Decimals
- Unit 8: Shapes and Volume
- Unit 9: Tables, Patterns, Graphs, Conversions
Weekly HW - STMath (90 minutes) and Reflex (3 green lights):
How to Log-In
- Go to STMath.com on a computer or tablet
- Click the homework button (the penguin with the house)
- Enter your username and password (If you forget your username and password, check your HW folder! If you still can't find it, email Ms. Kimball firstname.lastname@example.org or Ms. Chavez email@example.com)
- Before you exit: SAVE YOUR WORK.
- Click the yellow back arrow.
- Click the red back arrow until you get to the “Today’s Accomplishments” screen.
- Click the red X.
Parents can view their students' STMath progress. You can get there from your student's account. Here are more details. Let me know if you have any trouble.
- Go to www.reflexmath.com on a computer or tablet (I recommend a computer)
- Teacher name: BCCS
- Click on your advisory
- Click your name
- Enter your individual password (taped to your green HW folder!)
- Progress saves automatically