Jobs Listing > Sr. Product Designer
Facts You Should Know:
- Founded: 2012
- Founders: Chris Twyman (CEO), Ken Haynes (Head of Customer Success), Ian Garland (CTO)
- Hiring Manager: Mark Stephan (SVP Product & User Experience)
- Website: http://boomwriter.com
- Locations: HQ: Boston, MA with teams in Austin, TX, Nottingham, UK and remote workers in US & Europe.
- Funding: BoomWriter closes $4.1 Mil Round of Funding
- Products: StoryWriter, WordWriter, ProjectWriter, BoomWriter Camps, BoomWriter Writing Bee, Skrawl
- Users: Teachers K-12, (target 2-6), Students, Parents
- Location: Austin, Tx is most preferred, however, in order of descending preference we will consider remote US-based applications, UK-Nottingham, UK-remote, and finally other locations remote, depending on skills and ability to work remotely. We want to hire the right person and that's the priority.
- Job Type: This is a salaried full-time role. Please No Contractors/Agencies.
We’re looking for someone who will tackle creating elegant user experiences that are deeply informed by knowing our users; teachers, parents and students.
NOTE: We know you're excited to join us, but take a few moments and read the entirety of this job description. We know it's long, but it's to your benefit and ours. Application form is at the bottom.
What You Do
- Deliver ideas, wireframes, mockups and prototypes for new features
- Turn deep user research and knowledge into elegant hi-fidelity designs
- Keep up to date on industry and technology trends
- Work collaboratively with the team to create and design user-focused features
- Prototype rich interactions with multiple states and roles
You’re perfect for this role if you’re excellent at both cornerstones of design,
- Research - Learning and discovering what is beautiful and useful to the target user
- Visual Design - Designing beautiful & useful things for that user
NOTE: We are not looking for a FE developer. Your skill-set should focus primarily on design and user research. You know how to code? Awesome, but, to apply you only need to know it enough to know how to work with development teams in a general away. Design skills is what we'll be interviewing you on.
More about You:
You start design with questions, digging into research because you know every design needs to match the needs and expectations of a particular user. You do this by conceiving and conducting user research, interviews and surveys, and translating them into sitemaps, wireframes and lo-fi prototypes. However, as a designer, you take the process even further and implement all of your learnings. Design sprints aren’t foreign territory to you. You explore, riff and use your design skills to iterate on and through testing, ultimately come up with an awe inspiring hi-fi design that development can implement.
Such skills will require a very entrepreneurial designer, a risk-taker, and will successfully challenge existing paradigms. You get excited about the challenge of designing for both adults (parents, teachers and school leaders) as well as children K-12. You will have a vision and will think expansively outside the box to consistently generate and evaluate highly innovative ideas and solutions. Although you are very agile and entrepreneurial, you should not be someone who cuts corners, and you do not make compromises—you create beautiful product UX concepts and hi-fidelity designs that are polished and contribute seamlessly to user experience.
Skills Skills Skills
Web Application Design: (Requirement)
- 5+ Years of experience in designing and iterating on responsive web applications that rock.
- You understand that web apps should be functional and beautiful. They should not be only functional or only beautiful.
- You find ways to inject the unexpected and delightful into UIs that will surprise the user in a pleasant way.
- 5+ years of experience in Interaction Design, Visual Design and Hi-fi prototyping.
- Proficiency with various prototyping tools (such as Sketch, etc...).
- You know what Zeplin, MarvelApp and InVision are, and have opinions which is best for what.
- A passion for solving design problems while – owning all facets of design (strategy, direction, interaction design and research).
- Exceptional UI abilities, a keen eye for good design shown and an extensive portfolio of live projects.
- Ability to iterate your designs and solutions efficiently and intelligently.
- You’re detailed enough to read all the criteria and use the word ‘Taradiddle’ in your cover letter.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate design processes, ideas, and solutions to your team.
- A clear understanding of the importance of user-centered design.
- You’re an avid Dribbble contributor and junkie, while at the same time are easily able to quickly spot eye-candy designs that are user experience disasters and engineering nightmares.
- Yeah, you’re opinionated, but also love collaboration and feedback on your designs. You understand successful design doesn't happen in a vacuum or in secret. You believe in sharing work early, openly, and often. You enjoy working closely with Product, Engineers, and Users to help make the Design Team's designs achieve effective results.
- You love Data, both qualitative and quantitative. You know both give important insights for different questions. You want to play with analytics tools and looking at user journeys. You want to know how your designs play out in real life, and you want to know how to improve on them, based on evidence.
User Experience: (Would like to have)
- 2+ years experience in user research methodologies.
- Quantitative and user behavior analysis skills.
- You have a deep understanding of the iterative UX process (personas, scenarios, wireframing).
- You have studied the data and created user personas before.
- You have a solid grasp of user-centered design and testing methodologies, subsystems, and usability and accessibility concerns.
- Ability to work with our users to understand detailed requirements and design complete user experiences that meet users needs and vision.
- Work closely with the product team to collaborate on: User Research, Sensemaking, Ideation, Prototyping, User Testing
- Extensive experience in using UX design best practices to design solutions, and a deep understanding of responsive design.
- Be passionate about all things UX and other areas of design and innovation. Research and showcase knowledge in the industry’s latest trends and technologies.
- We are NOT Looking for a Front-end developer, but you need to know a little about it.
- You know how design impacts development, knowing the technical complexities a design might introduce, and can work through them with your teammates.
- Very comfortable working with developers in a way that creates synergy, not friction.
- Be creative and push the boundaries of good design with an understanding of possible limitations and restrictions on different platforms, devices, browsers and in code.
Teamwork & Soft Skills:
- Be a cool and friendly person. No divas or unfriendly people need apply.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- An understanding that great experiences come from collaborative decision-making with front-end developers, engineers, researchers, content strategists, and other disciplines.
- Be excited about collaborating and communicating closely with teams and other stakeholders via a distributed model to regularly deliver design solutions for approval.
- Be willing to help teammates, share knowledge and experience with them, and learn from them.
- Be open to receiving feedback and constructive criticism.
- “That’s not my job” is not in your vocabulary
- Excellent written and verbal communicator.
About BoomWriter Media
BoomWriter Media was founded in 2012 out of a middle school classroom, with a simple idea and a deep passion to get students engaged in writing, write better, and love doing it.
Today, the BoomWriter Team is comprised of educators, technologists, product experts, artists and writers — all of whom share a passion for reading, writing, teaching, learning and technology — with locations in Boston, Austin, Nottingham UK, and various other places around the world, our colleagues work together both onsite in our offices and remote.
We’ve recently raised 4.1 million in Series-A funding (read about it here), hired an amazing new management team that is going to take BoomWriter to the next level. We’re small, and a tight-knit group, but that’s changing fast, the small part, not the tight-knit part. We’re looking for the next additions that will make our team even better. Join us in executing on our vision, turning ho-hum writing into an action-packed adventure for students everywhere. If you’re interested in getting in early on a start-up that's taking off and if you’re interested in making decisions that will impact a company forever, then you will want to join us on this trip.
Location: Boston, Austin, Nottingham, or anywhere else on planet Earth.
You can work in one of our offices or, if you want to work remote, that's great. If you want to work near others, that's cool too. You don't have to be located in the USA. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Romania, Texas (We’re like our own country!), and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere and do user research, if you so choose to be remote.
- Competitive salary
- We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop you want plus any software you need. You’re a designer, we get it.
- Healthcare, retirement plans, etc.. dependent on location, for US-based folks we’re rolling these out.
How to Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
Please go to the following site and fill-out the application.
http://bit.ly/BWUXDesigner (Shown Below)