There are a wide range of tools, or ingredients, available to help you automate your tech life. While some are free, others operate on the freemium model and therefore have limitation with the free version. Of those that are freemium, I had minimal success in finding an educational discount with them. So keep that in mind.
Although there are likely many options out there for automating, I have assembled a list with many of them to get you started. I'll be discussing the pros and cons as well as some general pointers for each of them during my talk.
- IFTTT - Free (Pairs well with their online interface)
- MacDroid - Freemium (65 triggers and 100 actions)
- Microsoft Flow - Free (Ideal for those who work in the Office Suite)
- Tasker - $2.99
- Trigger - Task Launcher - Freemium (Lots of ways to automate and is compatible with NFC tags)
- Stringify - Free (Good option for its integration with gadget APIs)
Don't overlook the power of your favorite gadgets from home! The list of available gadgets is growing by the minute. One thing to keep in mind, especially in the school setting, is (obviously) privacy so use your judgement. There are a plethora of articles out there concerning AI in the classroom.
Click here for articles concerning Amazon Alexa in the classroom.
Click here for articles concerning Google Home in the classroom.