Woodward Middle School Culture Fair
May 18, 2017 6:30 - 8:00pm
Culture Fair is a festive, annual event during which eighth grade students not only learn about their own cultural heritage, but have the opportunity to share their months' long work with parents, fellow students, and members of the community.
A student will choose a person in their family or another person, living or dead, who has contributed to their cultural makeup. Through library research and oral interviews, they will acquire an understanding of their focus person’s life and culture.
Their final product for Culture Fair will be a paper, which explores their focus person’s life and cultural influences and a display board, which illustrates influential elements of their focus person’s life and culture.
Scroll down to view important notes, dates, the parent presentation, and student packet.
A Note to Parents/Guardians
Due to the nature of this assignment, parent/family involvement is vital to the successful completion of this project. Below are some specific suggestions for how you can help:
- Tell family stories at home. Talk about what your life was like growing up, and what you know about the lives of your parents and grandparents. What customs and traditions have been important to your family?
- Know the project deadlines listed in this packet and help your child to follow them.
- Talk to your child about possible options for a focus person, and try to support your child’s selection.
- Guide your child to family members who would be good sources for family information.
- Make sure your child has the proper materials.
- Read your child’s Culture Fair paper (required).
Come to Culture Fair on Thursday, May 18, 6:30-8:00pm!
Introduction to Culture Fair Project
Parent Information Night (optional)
Focus Person Selection and Pre-Interview
Interview Questions Due
January 23 - February 2
Interview with Focus Person (and possibly others)
Introduction to Display Board/Gathering Visuals
March 6 - 24
Writing First Draft
First Final Paper Due
All Display Board Items Collected
Plan of Display Board Due
Edited Final Paper Due
Final Display Board Due
May 18, 6:30-8:00