This is the Birthlight Wiki. Please help us and add helpful information to our Birthlight Wiki. As the name indicates it is a repository of information for the Birthlight organisation enabling members (office staff, tutors, etc) to find helpful information quickly. Content is produced and maintained by all members of the Birthlight organisation.
Birthlight has grown organically from small pioneering classes for groups of women and families that Françoise Barbira Freedman set up in Cambridge in the 1980’s. As an anthropologist whose research at Cambridge University involved sharing the lives of Amazonian rainforest people in Peru, Françoise was profoundly influenced by the care and support she received from them while she was pregnant with her first child and as a new mother. Using her skills in swimming and yoga, she developed new practices to translate what she had learnt in the Amazon for the benefit of Western parents. Mostly through word of mouth about positive outcomes, birthlight has grown from Cambridge homespun classes to a wide international network of trainers, teachers and parents. Many people have been influential and instrumental to this growth.
Birthlight training started with opportunities opened by Robin Monro and the Yoga Biomedical Trust in London. Early courses have served as templates for many of the trainings currently offered in the UK in Perinatal Yoga, Baby Yoga and WellWoman Yoga.
Birthlight training is supported by the publication of books and visual materials. Françoise is the author of eight books, most of which are currently translated into other languages, and has coauthored a further three books with Doriel Hall. Birthlight tutors and members have collaborated in the production of teaching materials, books and DVDs, which carry the birthlight logo. Together, birthlight training tutors are shaping the content and format of courses as birthlight grows in order to better respond to the needs of pregnant women and new parents and babies around the world. Our partners in Zurich, Moscow, Singapore and Sydney have pioneered the creation of international birthlight centres.
Françoise’s on-going academic career as a Cambridge anthropologist is closely tied with the development of Birthlight as a network that spans across worldwide midwifery organisations, interdisciplinary scientific research communities and humanitarian international associations. She is still involved with Peruvian Amazonian forest people and actively supports the conservation of a forest base essential to their way of life.
Tel: 01223 362288
PO Box 148
Tel: 01223 362288
c/o Nigel Spence & Co Chartered Accountants,
15 South End,
Cambridgeshire SG8 5NJ
BIRTHLIGHT TEACHING LIMITED
a company limited by guarantee.
Registered number: 04026959
Birthlight Trust. Registered Charity No. 1088207
Tech Support for Birthlight
G Suite for Birthlight
Birthlight's G Suite (Google Suite) is a set of tools to help teams collaborate and work more effectively. Here are some frequently asked questions:
How do I login and get access to Birthlight G Suite?
- You can login by going to https://accounts.google.com and putting in your username (usually <firstname>@birthlight.com) and password (given to you in your introductory email - please change your password once you login for the first time)
Quickstart Guide for G Suite:
How do I change my password for my Birthlight G Suite account login?
- Click here and follow the prompts (make sure you are logged out of any other google accounts - you may have to login to your G Suite Birthlight account) : https://myaccount.google.com/signinoptions/password
How do I access the G Suite email (GMail) at Birthlight?
- once logged in to G Suite go to https://mail.google.com or click on the nine gray dots (upper righthand of screen) and/or click on the red M (Gmail) . See the image to the right.
Quickstart Guide for Gmail at Birthlight:
How do I access the G Suite calendars at Birthlight?
- once logged into G Suite go to https://calendar.google.com or click on the nine gray dots (upper righthand of the screen) and/or click on the Calendar icon . See image to the right.
Go here for the Quick Start Guide to Calendars:
How do I add some info to the Birthlight Wiki in order to help others in Birthlight with helpful info?
- Go to https://sites.google.com (you may have to login to G Suite) or Login to G Suite and click on the nine dots in the upper righthand of the screen and click on the "Sites" icon (see image to the right). Then click on the "Birthlight Wiki" icon and then click on "Insert" and insert either "Text" , "images", "embed", or "From Drive".
How do I have a video conference with teammates at Birthlight using Google Meet (aka Hangouts)?
- Go to https://meet.google.com/ (you may have to login to G Suite) or Login to G Suite and click on the nine dots (see image to the right). Then click on the video camera icon ("Meet"). Then follow the prompts (e.g. "start a new meeting").
Go here for the Google Quick Start Guide to Meet Hangouts Video Conference
How do I access my Google Drive at Birthlight?
- Go to https://drive.google.com (you may have to login to G Suite) or login to G Suite and click on the nine dots and then the "Drive" icon
Google Quick Start Guide for Drive :
How do I access my Google Docs at Birthlight?
- Go to https://docs.google.com (you may have to login to G Suite) or login to G Suite and click on the nine dots and then the Docs icon)
Quickstart Guide for Docs:
How do I access my Google Sheets (spreadsheets) at Birthlight?
- Go to https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets (you may have to login to G Suite) or login to G Suite and click on the nine dots and then the Sheets icon
Quickstart Guide for Sheets:
How do I access my Google Slides (powerpoint slides) at Birthlight?
- Go to https://docs.google.com/presentation (you may have to login to G Suite) or login to G Suite and click on the nine dots and then the Presentation icon.
Quickstart Guide for Slides:
How do I access Google Keep for quick note-taking at Birthlight?
- Go to https://keep.google.com (you may have to login to G Suite) or login to G Suite and click on the nine gray dots and then the Keep icon (lightbulb)
Quickstart Guide for Google Keep note-taking app:
How do I access my Google Contacts at Birthlight?
- Go to https://contacts.google.com (you may have to login to G Suite) or login to G Suite and click on the nine dots and then the Contacts icon
Quickstart Guide for Google Contacts:
An Introduction to Gmail at Birthlight
With tons of storage space, you’ll never need to delete an email. Just keep everything and easily find it later.
Find Birthlight emails fast
With the power of Google Search right in your inbox, you can quickly find the important emails you need with suggestions based on your emails, past searches and contacts.
Arrange your inbox to fit your work style
Send messages and hold video meetings from your inbox
Chat with contacts and start video meetings with up to 25 people inGoogle Hangouts.
Bring your contacts into Gmail
Gmail at Birthlight - How to setup/verify an email forwarding address
- Logout of any of your other Gmail or G Suite accounts
- Login to Birthlight G Suite at (https://accounts.google.com). (username: email@example.com / password: daret@Ioan316 the letter after the @ is an uppercase i)
- Go to the Settings page for forwarding emails in gmail by clicking here: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/fwdandpop
- In the first option at the top of the page "Forwarding" you can setup your forwarding email address (your personal email address where you want your birthlight emails to be forwarded to : e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and if possible click "Save changes" (**Note : for this to work you will have to verify your forwarding address as indicated - i.e. gmail has sent an email to your personal email address with a code or link in it which you are suppose to click to verify it is you). Please paste the code or click the link.
- That's it - your emails to <name>@birthlight.com will be forwarded to your private email address so that you can have all your emails in one place.
Gmail at Birthlight - How to Create a Signature
- To access the Gmail signature screen click on your nine gray dots and/or GMail icon. Click on the gear icon and then choose Settings. Under the General tab scroll down to Signature and copy and paste the template in number two below into the signature window.
- For a template of the standard birthlight email template created by Renata and Jeff please see this document (please feel free to edit this to your own liking and copy and paste it to your own gmail signature): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uJt2NkfwgZeahu2QFPwFsvaJrDaLgDryV9vtdKjeZ3I/edit?usp=sharing
- To see a tutorial on how to add a signature with an image to your Gmail email see : https://youtu.be/C2n0ywfAtDE
Birthlight Gmail - how to inmport contacts from a file (.csv file)
Import contacts from a file
- logout of any other non-Birthlight Google accounts.
- click https://accounts.google.com to login with Birthlight account
- then click on Google Contacts
- On the left, click More -> Import.
- In the window that appears, choose how you'd like to import your contacts
- Check that you saved your contacts as a .csv or .vcf file. Then click CSV or vCard file Select file.
- Click Import.
Sharing Groups (Email Groups) at Birthlight Which Have Been Already Setup by the Admin (e.g. tutors, office, etc)
To share or email something (e.g. a sheet, a calendar, etc) to a group of people you will have to give either the name of the group or the email address of the group. Here are our groups which have already been setup by the admin:
Everyone / email@example.com - this will go to all tutors, office staff and tech support people including Francoise Freedman (all Birthlight personnell)
Tutors / firstname.lastname@example.org - this email will go to all tutors at Birthlight
Office / email@example.com - this email will go to Francoise, Kt, Renata and Valerie.
Tech Support / firstname.lastname@example.org - this email will go to Helen and Jeff
How to Create Your Own Email Group at Birthlight G Suite
To add the group you must actually go to Google Contacts. Use labels to organize your contacts into contact groups.
Create a new contact group label:
- On the left under Labels, click Create label add.
- Enter a name and click OK.
Add contacts to a group label:
- Check the box next to each contact name to select them.
- In the top right, click Manage labels label.
- Choose the group or groups you want to add the contacts to. You'll see a checkmark appear next to the groups you choose.
How to change how emails are viewed/presented in Gmail
When people reply to an email, by default Gmail groups responses together in conversations with the newest email on the bottom. This is different than most email clients like Outlook which just list emails in the order in which they arrive in the inbox.
You may turn this "Conversation View" off in Gmail (or keep it on - whichever you prefer)
- Open Gmail.
- In the top right, click Settings .
- Click Settings.
- Scroll down to the "Conversation View" section.
- Select Conversation view on (messages will be grouped) or Conversation view off (messages won't be grouped) - whichever you prefer.
- At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes.
Gmail keyboard shortcuts
Gmail keyboard shortcuts can save you a lot of time and allow you to navigate and use gmail much more efficiently. First, keyboard shortcust must be enabled because by default they are disabled. To do that see the tutorial steps below with screenshots, and then download the pdf file of shortcuts: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yb38z8UpJSWL-A5xg3_4zEbuSI2YW0sS/view?usp=sharing
Settings for Checking Birthlight Email on other Email Clients (e.g. on your mobile phone app, ipad, tablet, etc)
If you want to receive your Birthlight G Suite email directly to your phone, tablet, ipad, etc. then you can do the following:
Set up IMAP
Step 1: Check that IMAP is turned on in your G Suite Gmail (you must be logged into G Suite)
- On your computer, open Gmail.
- In the top right, click Settings .
- Click Settings.
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- In the "IMAP access" section, select Enable IMAP.
- Click Save Changes.
Step 2: Change SMTP & other settings in your email client
Use the table below to update your client with the correct information. For help updating your settings, search your email client's Help Center for instructions on setting up IMAP.
How to setup G Suite on my phone (iOS device)
- Open an app such as Gmail, and sign in to your G Suite account (you may have to first logout of any other Gmail or G Suite accounts).
- A message appears, asking permission to send you notifications, such as alerts, sounds, and icon badges.
- Tap Allow.
It all depends how your admin is managing your device.
- If you see the home screen for an app (for example, your Gmail inbox), you can start using the app right away.
Calendars at Birthlight
Create a Calendar
1. To create a calendar go to the ninedots at the top right of your dashboard after logging in and choose Calendar app
2. Click "Add Calendar" and follow the prompts
Create an Event for a Calendar(s)
1. To create an event click "Create"
2. Enter details of the event including choosing the calendar
3. If you want to copy the event to another calendar click "More Actions"
How to upload your coursework for Birthlight
Here is a video link that you can send students which will help them understand how to upload their coursework to box.com (and the video below that link) .