Speech & Debate
Speech and Debate Meetings and Tournament Info:
Returning Members meeting will be Monday 9/4/17 in Auditorium
Kickoff Tournament Schedule
Meet your coaches:
2018-2019 Speech & Debate Tournament Schedule
Nov. 3, 2018 Billings Kickoff @ Skyview High
Nov. 9-10, 2018 AA Eastern Regional (Butte)
Dec. 7-8, 2018 Bozeman
Dec. 14-15, 2018 Helena
Jan. 4-5, 2019 Trapper Rendezvous (NWC, Powell, WY)
Jan. 11-12, 2019 Great Falls
Jan. 25-26, 2019 AA State Tournament (Kalispel)
Feb. 8-9, 2019 National Qualifier (Billings @ West High)
Some JV tournaments may be added; dates and times will be announced at Monday meetings.
IMPORTANT DATES and FUNDRAISING EVENTS:
First Meeting for Returning Members Wednesday, Aug 29 RM 223
Team Captain Applications Available Tuesday, Sept 4
Team Captain Applications Due to Coaches Monday, Sept 10
Classroom recruiting visits Wednesday, Sept 12
Informational meeting for new members LUNCH, Wed Sept 19 in Library
Homecoming Concessions Friday, Sept 14 (@Dalys Stadium)
Saturday Live Saturday, Sept 22
First practice Monday, Oct 1
Regular Monday Meetings 3:15 Every Monday in RM 223
Parent meeting in the Auditorium Tuesday, Oct 23 (6 pm)
Judges Training 2018 Thursday, Nov 1 (6 pm)
Quilt Raffle Drawing Thursday, Nov 10
Banquet & Cake Auction in cafeteria Tuesday, Feb 19 (6 PM)
Members who qualify for the National tournament in Dallas, Texas in June must do additional fundraising in Guelff Mart during student lunches, and other fundraising activities, and in concessions stands at sporting events to be determined soon to supplement the trip.
For AA meets, we follow the MHSA Rule book for speech and debate. However, for junior varsity meets at ABC schools, the Trapper Rendezvous at Northwest College in Powell, the state tournament, and the NFL qualifier, there are special rules, and we need to be aware of them and follow them. Here are rule books that will help you keep track and be prepared.
- Use these to learn the rules for your event, to find out what judges will be expecting from you, and to find out what extra work you need to do for the AA state tournament.
- Use it also to learn the differences between AA and ABC rules, especially for interp events.
- Rules for the NFL qualifying tournament are different from AA rules. If you plan to go to the qualifier, find your event in this PDF and use it to get prepared.
- Click on the link above. The speech rules start on page 90.
- We cannot do some events that we normally do when we go to Wyoming, and there are events in Wyoming that we do not offer at AA meets in Montana. Use this site to get acquainted with the Rules that we will have to follow in Powell.
- Poetry is one of the events that is offered in Wyoming, but not in Montana. Here is some helpful information from Poets.org and the Great Books Foundation on How to Read a Poem.