Sign up for 4th Grade Orchestra!
Fourth grade is the year to join orchestra and begin learning to play violin, viola, cello, or bass. There are many benefits of learning to play an instrument, such as creativity, fine motor skill development, and concentration skills. It also gives your child a chance to work responsibly with a group and perform in front of an audience. Further down the line, there could be trip opportunities and college scholarships available.
Instruction from us is free as part of the school district curriculum. Involvement in orchestra is lots of fun, but there is effort and responsibility involved. These are the requirements:
● Rent an instrument at a local music store, along with the necessary accessories. Bring your instrument and other materials to and from school for every session outlined below.
● Attend a 30-minute small group class once a week during the school day at your building. Students are excused from their regular classroom to attend orchestra.
● Attend a large group rehearsal from 7:30 - 8:00 a.m. one day a week at Bettendorf High School. Parents are asked to drop their children off between 7:10 and 7:20 a.m. Bus transportation from rehearsal to the elementary buildings by the start of the regular school day is provided. Please feed your child breakfast before dropping them off at morning rehearsal.
● Practice every day at home for at least 10 minutes. You will be given a checklist of what to practice, which needs to be completed and turned in every week - this is your orchestra homework. This will take some monitoring and encouragement from parents. Orchestra is a graded class!
● Attend the three evening concerts that will be performed in October, February, and April.
We consider participation in orchestra a long-term commitment, expecting students to continue throughout elementary, middle, and high school.
Click here to sign up online by Thursday, September 7!
Then attend our orientation meeting on Thursday, September 7 at 6:30pm in the Bettendorf Middle School cafeteria (see below for more information). Last-minute sign-up will be available at this meeting.
I hope many of you will decide to join and keep the strong Bettendorf orchestra tradition going! Feel free to contact us with any questions. Thank you!
Graciela Burroughs and Lee Starovich, Elementary Orchestra Directors
4th Grade Orchestra Orientation Meeting
Thursday, September 7 at 6:30 p.m.
Bettendorf Middle School (2030 Middle Road) Cafeteria
Enter through the main front door and turn left
*Space is limited in the cafeteria, so please bring only your orchestra student if at all possible!
Please attend if at all possible. You will have an opportunity to meet the instructor, pick up your child’s folder, hear all about the orchestra program, and complete paperwork to rent your child’s instrument and have it delivered to their school. Please do not rent or buy an instrument before this meeting - in addition to rental opportunities at the meeting, there is more information required before getting an instrument.
If you cannot attend, we will deliver your child’s folder with all information to him/her the next day. Please ask your child to show it to you! Last-minute sign-up will be available at this meeting.