English Language Arts
Mrs. Michelle Sprengel
Welcome to our classroom
It is with pleasure that I welcome you and your child to our class website. We can all look forward to a very exciting and rewarding year. I have high expectations for all students and I encourage everyone to try to do their best.
We have a great deal to learn in Language Arts class this year. To improve our writing skills, we will learn to write for a variety of purposes, including personal narrative, argumentative, and informational writing. We will also be sharpening our reading skills, which are so important to future success both in and out of school. In order to maximize learning and practice the art of collaboration, you will be guided and encouraged to help each other with your reading and writing activities. We are also have the opportunity to experience a one-to-one digital classroom with Chromebooks. You will become proficient technology users and responsible digital citizens. Class work is also vitally important to our success. We will work very hard each day to achieve our learning goals in order to improve our skills and minimize homework.
Major/Minor ELA Assignments:
Major: (50% of grade)
- Completed Essays
- Book Talks
- Vocabulary Tests
Minor: (30% of grade)
- Reading Log
- Reading Response
- Writer's notebook
- Essay Progress (assigned milestones)
- Annotated articles, etc
- Final decision on Thesis/Claim
Homework: (10% of grade)
Homework can be graded twice; (As per BBES board approved guidelines)
- For completion,
- Graded for accuracy as a participation grade.
- Homework will be assigned Monday-Thursday; no weekend assignments unless it is a multi-week assignment.
- Late homework will be taken, with a penalty, up to two days from assigned date
How much time should students spend on homework?
- Grade 5 = 50 minutes
- Grade 6 = 60 minutes
Grading Scale for Homework
- 100% = Completed
- 75% = Attempted, more than half / late score after one day
- 50% = Attempted, mostly incomplete / late score after two days
- 0% = No attempt, not handed in
**Late homework will be taken, with a penalty, up to two days from assigned date.
Participation (10% of grade)
- Contributes to discussions, lessons, and activities
- Responds thoughtfully to other students’ comments
- Suggests different ways of approaching activities
- Demonstrates consistent preparation
- Maintains engagement in lessons and activities
100-90 Exceeds expectations
89-80 Meets expectations
60 Below expectations
- No extra credit is assigned.
- Students can request to retest major assessments. [Tests only, not essays]