English Language Arts
Mrs. Michelle Sprengel
Welcome to our classroom
It is with pleasure that I welcome you and your child to our class website. We can all look forward to a very exciting and rewarding year. I have high expectations for all students and I encourage everyone to try to do their best.
Major/Minor ELA Assignments:
Major: (50% of grade)
- Completed Essays
- Book Talks
- Vocabulary Tests
Minor: (30% of grade)
- Reading Log
- Reading Response
- Writer's notebook
- Essay Progress (assigned milestones)
- Annotated articles, etc
- Final decision on Thesis/Claim
Homework: (10% of grade)
Homework can be graded twice; (As per BBES board approved guidelines)
- For completion,
- Graded for accuracy as a participation grade.
- Homework will be assigned Monday-Thursday; no weekend assignments unless it is a multi-week assignment.
- Late homework will be taken, with a penalty, up to two days from assigned date
How much time should students spend on homework?
- Grade 5 = 50 minutes
- Grade 6 = 60 minutes
Grading Scale for Homework
- 100% = Completed
- 75% = Attempted, more than half / late score after one day
- 50% = Attempted, mostly incomplete / late score after two days
- 0% = No attempt, not handed in
**Late homework will be taken, with a penalty, up to two days from assigned date.
Participation (10% of grade)
- Contributes to discussions, lessons, and activities
- Responds thoughtfully to other students’ comments
- Suggests different ways of approaching activities
- Demonstrates consistent preparation
- Maintains engagement in lessons and activities
100-90 Exceeds expectations
89-80 Meets expectations
60 Below expectations
- No extra credit is assigned.
- Students can request to retest major assessments. [Tests only, not essays]