In 3rd grade, students will work to:
- develop their skills using place value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic
- develop their understanding of multiplication and division and strategies for multiplication and division within 100
- develop their understanding of fractions, especially unit fractions (fractions with numerator 1)
- develop their understanding of the structure of rectangular arrays and of area
- describe and analyze two-dimensional shapes
- improve their problem solving skills
Unit 1: Number and Operations in Base Ten
- MGSE3.NBT.1 Use place value understanding to round whole numbers to the nearest 10 or 100.
- MGSE3.NBT.2 Fluently add and subtract within 1000 using strategies and algorithms based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
In this unit, students will learn to estimate by rounding numbers to the nearest ten or hundred. Additionally they learn strategies to add and subtract numbers within 1000. We also review place value and the properties of addition.
Read the Unit 1 Parent Letter for more information.
Place Value and Rounding Resources:
- Place Value from StudyJams!
- Estimate Whole Numbers from StudyJams!
- Estimate Sums & Differences from StudyJams!
Addition and Subtraction Resources:
Unit 2: The Relationship Between Multiplication and Division
In this unit, students will:
- begin to understand the concepts of multiplication and division
- learn the basic facts of multiplication and their related division facts
- learn strategies to multiply and divide
- solve problems
Read the Unit 2 Parent Letter for more information.