Frequently Asked Questions
Balanced / Flowing Qi = Health
Blocked / Unbalanced Qi = Illness / Pain
What does a typical appointment consist of?
- An assessment of where bio-energetic imbalances / blockages exist in your body;
- An external Qi emission treatment to aid your body in returning to balance
- strengthen; and
- Instruction tailored to your current (recommendations may change as your energy changes) unique energetic and physical make-up on how to alleviate the imbalances / blockages on your own*
- acupressure point(s) self-massage;
- meditations; or
* Recommendations are specific to you! What you need is different from what someone else needs and it could be dangerous to for that person to implement suggestions meant for you! Even if someone has the exact same condition as you (let's say you both have headaches as an example), the cause of your condition and how your condition manifests can be very different and requires very different treatments.
How many sessions do I need?
Some people get relief from immediately in the first session. Others take a lot longer. It depends on what you are currently experiencing and what your health goals are for the future. For example, a you might come in for relief from a headache (relief usually comes in one session); or, you might decide to address the underlying cause of the headache (while you may still get relief from the current headache in the first session, addressing the cause usually takes more sessions).
Although miracles can and do happen where someone might be "cured" in one session, most of the time, that is not the case. If you want to address long-term discomfort / illness / pain or if you want to address the underlying reason you were susceptible to a short-term issue, it usually takes more sessions (although, miracles can and do happen).
The general pattern that people go through is represented in the graph image to the left (or above if you are on a cell phone). The vertical axis represents the level of discomfort / illness / pain. The horizontal axis represents time / number of treatments. Usually you experience relief after the treatment, but then as your old habits unconsciously return, the discomfort / illness / pain returns (usually not to the original level). This up & pattern continues as your body establishes new healthier energetic habits.
There are a lot of variables (see bullet list below) that impact how many sessions you need. Here are some of the more obvious variables:
- Is your discomfort / illness / pain acute or chronic?
- How long have you experienced your discomfort / illness / pain?
What should I expect to experience during / after treatment?
The most common experience is an overall sense of relaxation / release similar to what one experiences with a massage. The most common reaction is falling in and out of sleep / feeling somewhat drowsy during treatment.
But it is impossible to predict who will experience what when. Therefore, expect the unexpected. Things get released during treatment so anything can happen. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- feeling emotion(s) such as joy, happiness, contentment, etc;
- feeling emotion(s) such as sadness, fear, anger, etc;
- experiencing spontaneous (but temporary) physical reaction(s) such as twitching, passing gas, laughing, crying, warmth, coolness, pain, etc;
- recalling experiences, feelings (usually emotional, but can be physical as well), or thoughts from the past - these might be pleasant or unpleasant;
- experiencing a sensation that is not currently happening (for example, sometimes people see patterns of light during treatment or hear sounds when the treatment space is quiet or smell aromas like the scent of the beach or the smell of smoke) - sometimes this is associated with a memory but not always; and / or
- expelling stuff from the body (muscus, blood, cysts, vomit, changes in urination / defecation) as the body releases toxins that are cleared
Is Medical Qigong safe?
Medical Qigong is natural and safe (and effective!) when done properly. While there is always some risk with anything in life (even walking!), with a properly trained practitioner, Medical Qigong is very safe.
However, since toxic energy is released, Medical Qigong can be unpleasant at times (see "What should I expect to experience..." above). And, because each experience can be different, it is impossible to predict how you might react. For some, the unpredictability can be a little scary. But, rest assured, even if an unpleasant reaction does happen, it is always short-lived. After that, you get to enjoy all of the benefits of healing.
Most of the time, it is very pleasant, energizing, and relaxing.
What are your credentials for practicing Medical Qigong?
Currently, I have passed the exams for the Medical Qigong Therapist certification.
This means that I have:
- 315 hours of hands-on instruction;
- 70 hours of clinical examinations including:
- oral exams,
- demonstration of treatment techniques,
- demonstration / explanation (technique, when to use, and when / how to modify) of the "homework" given to clients based on their unique energetic patterns:
- acupressure self-massage,
- meditations, and
- 8 demonstrations of actual full treatments with real clients (ensuring techniques appropriate to the client's energetic patterns are applied with efficacy and safety);
- 2 written exams (one for the Practitioner certification and one for the Therapist certification);
- college-level anatomy and physiology courses; and
- oodles of hours with clients of my own
The curriculum used by the institute from which I receive my training is recognized by the Chinese Ministry of Health. And, when I (finally!) qualify for my doctorate, I will be recognized as a Doctor of Medical Qigong, China.
I have also functioned as a Teacher Assistant for a cohort for the Medical Qigong Practitioner certification, so I have repeated approximately half of the above credentials twice (once as student and once as Teacher Assistant).
Do I have to adhere to a certain religious / spiritual belief to benefit from Medical Qigong?
Absolutely not! Medical Qigong does not discriminate based on religion (or anything else)!
It does, however, require faith that there are natural processes and things in this universe that science does not yet understand and that science does not yet have the level of technological sophistication required to identify / measure what is happening.
Back to religion specifically... My clients are / have been:
- Spiritual without an Affiliated Religion; or
- Other / Undisclosed
What should I wear to an appointment?
You will ALWAYS remain fully clothed throughout the entire session. Qi (energy) travels through clothing. However, please do wear comfortable, loose (but not so loose that it is falling off) clothing so that you do not restrict your own Qi (and Blood) flow by constricting your physical tissues.