Frequently Asked Questions
Pennsylvania Department of Human Services (DHS) has provided the following FAQ document to assist in understanding Volunteers and Clearances.
Required Clearances (Act 24, 34, 114, 151)
In accordance with School Board Policy #916, all school volunteers are required to obtain the following clearances:
- Pennsylvania State Criminal Background (Act 34),
- Child Abuse (Act 151), and
- Federal Criminal History Record (Act 114, Fingerprinting).
Be sure to keep your original clearances in a safe place. The District will request originals, not copies.
In addition, Act 24 of 2011 requires disclosure of any prior arrests or convictions to a school district.
ACT 24 - Arrest or Conviction Form
- Complete the ACT 24 - PDE Arrest or Conviction Form
ACT 34 - PA Criminal History Record
- Complete the online request at: https://epatch.state.pa.us
- Be sure to choose the "New Record Check (Volunteers Only)" Link
ACT 151 - PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- Complete the online request at https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home
- You will need to create an individual account
ACT 114 - FBI Fingerprinting
- If you have been a resident of PA for the past 10 years (continuously), you may submit a Volunteer Clearance Exception waiver form.
- Download the Volunteer Clearance Exception Form
- You must sign the form in the presence of a witness.
- If you are unable to use the Volunteer Clearance Exception form, be sure to follow these instruction for the Act 114 Clearance:
- Log onto Cogent Website: https://www.pa.cogentid.com/index.htm
- Choose Department of Education
- Choose Register on Line
- Complete the registration form and print (you will need the registration id # to have your fingerprints taken and viewed)
- Take your registration id # to the Cogent location of your choice. (The nearest to the Blairsville-Saltsburg School District is ARIN Intermediate Unit #28.)
Keep your receipt. You will receive an official letter from Cogent in the mail. This letter is the clearance you will turn in with your clearances.