Definition of Gifted and Talented
Gifted children means those persons between the ages of four and twenty-one whose aptitude or competence in abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment in one or more domains are so exceptional or developmentally advanced that they require special provisions to meet their educational programming needs. Gifted and talented children are hereafter referred to as gifted students.
Children under five who are gifted may also be provided with early childhood special educational services. Gifted students include gifted students with disabilities (i.e. twice exceptional) and students with exceptional abilities or potential from all socio-economic and ethnic, cultural populations. Gifted students are capable of high performance, exceptional production, or exceptional learning behavior by virtue of any or a combination of these areas of giftedness:
- General or specific intellectual ability
- Specific academic aptitude
- Creative or productive thinking
- Leadership abilities
- Visual arts, performing arts, musical or psychomotor abilities
Aurora Public Schools serves gifted and high potential students through the support of a district Coordinator, three district Teachers on Special Assignment, and one or more Gifted and Talented Leaders in each school building. Aurora recognizes gifted identifications of students from military families who have transferred to APS schools. For more information about what is happening with gifted education at your schools, please contact your GT leader.
Early Access applications for the 2018-19 school year are now available!
Find out if the Early Access Program is the right choice for your incoming Kindergarten or first-grade student and download an application.
District Support Staff
- Jennifer Gutierrez, Student Services Director- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carol Dallas, GT Coordinator- email@example.com
- Karin Rosedale, GT Teacher on Special Assignment (ToSA)- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laurie Waalkes, GT Teacher on Special Assignment (ToSA)- email@example.com
- Whitney Allen, GT Teacher on Special Assignment (ToSA)- firstname.lastname@example.org