District #86 Kindergarten through 3rd graders take part in a project to choose the current year's winning book to receive the Monarch Award. The Monarch Award is an Illinois' K-3 Children's Choice Award that is presented annually to the author and/or illustrator of the book voted as their favorite by the students in participating Illinois schools or public libraries. The award is sponsored the Association of Illinois School Library Educators.
The purpose of the award is to:
- encourage children and adults to read children's books for personal enjoyment.
- help children become familiar with books, authors, and illustrators.
- encourage children to read critically.
- develop a statewide awareness of outstanding literature for children.
- promote cooperation among agencies providing educational and library service to children.
In February, after the students have been exposed to the nominated books, they will vote for their favorite. The votes will then be submitted to AISLE to be counted toward the winning book.