SLP Facilitated Activities
- Back to School Day
- HelpersClothing Sales
- Boxtops for Education
- Spirit Week
- Teacher Appreciation Activities
- Halloween Costume Contest
- Food Drive
- Nursing Home Visits
- Conference Helper
- Cookie Dough Fundraiser
- Coats for Kids
- Candy Cane Messages
- Ugly Sweater Contest
- Pennies for Patients
- Earth Day Activities
- Courage Retreat
- Spaghetti Dinner
What is Student Leadership? Check out video here!
SLP is a partnership of staff and students working together to develop a positive, respectful environment at VMSS. Since 1993, student leaders have been trained to provide peer leadership toward this goal. Through our process of monthly meetings, retreats, and service work, students become more aware of their power to choose to make a difference. They learn to recognize the needs around them and how they may act to meet those needs. They also learn that service is an essential element of leadership, and as positive role models, they can truly make a difference.
The purpose of the Student Leadership Process at VMSS is to develop positive leadership within our students body to promote the attitudes of RESPECT, RESPONSIBILITY, and SERVICE throughout our school.
- Demonstrate leadership through participation in at least 3 Student Leadership sponsored activities.
- Attend all required retreats, monthly meetings and small group committee meetings.
- Assist with the Spaghetti Dinner/Carnival Fundraiser.
- Participate in the Cookie Dough Fundraiser
- (these 2 fundraisers directly support our program, allowing us to charge lower prices for our retreats and activities to make them more affordable for all students)
Required Meetings and Events
Sept. 23rd - Meeting - 2:50-4:50pm
Oct. 22nd - Retreat - 8:15am-2:30pm
Nov. 11th - Meeting - 2:50-4:50pm
Dec. 16th - Meeting - 2:50-4:50pm
Jan. 21st - Spaghetti Dinner
(Carnival and Talent Show) 4-8pm
Feb. 5th - Lock In - 3:00-7pm
Mar. 16th - Meeting - 2:50-4:50pm
Apr. 20th - Meeting - 2:50-4:50pm
May 25th - SLP Picnic for returning members and NEW 6th Graders - 2:50-4:50pm
- Demonstrate respect for self and others
- Act responsibly
- Serve others
- Know and demonstrate our 7 principles of leadership
- Regularly practice leadership skills
SLP Information - 6th or 7th grade students will...
Apply online-Link will be in this area during the open application period.
On the application you will be asked 3 questions
- What skills do you have that demonstrate leadership?
- Who has been a role model for you and why?
- Name one teacher who knows you well. What would this teacher have to say about you as a student at Valley Middle School of STEM.
Valley Middle School of STEM, 900 Garden View Drive, Apple Valley, MN 55124, Phone: 952-431-8300