Students at Pinewood attend physical education class for fifty minutes every four days. They work on physical skills as well as team building, sportsmanship and attitude.
Physical Education Attire
Gym shoes must be worn for all physical activities. Please be certain the shoes have non-marking soles and enclosed toes. Dress in comfortable clothing. Anticipate the weather when class is outside. Girls wearing dresses or skirts are encouraged to have sweats or shorts to wear for class.
Students in grades 1-5 participate in a district wide fitness check every fall and spring. Students are checked in the areas of:
- Abdominal strength (curl-ups) (Grades 3-5)
- Upper body strength and endurance (static arm hang)
- Flexibility of the lower back and hamstring (sit and reach)
- Cardio respiratory endurance as follows (Pacer test) (Grades 3-5)
- Parental excuses must be approved by the nurse before each class.
- Excuses for longer than one week should have a doctors note.
- If a child's activity should be restricted or limited in any way, please inform the nurse and physical education specialist.