School and Community
Built in 1976, Apple Valley High School is located in the city of Apple Valley, Minnesota, a suburb 15 miles south of Minneapolis/St. Paul. There are four comprehensive high schools, two specialized smaller high schools, six middle schools and eighteen elementary schools which serve the families and communities within the 110 square mile area of Independent School District 196. A member of the prestigious South Suburban Conference, AVHS has an over 1,700 student enrollment in grades 9-12.
The Apple Valley HIgh School community is committed to challenge all individuals to realize their potential as learners by providing high quality and diverse opportunities for intellectual, emotional, aesthetic, and physical growth.
Apple Valley High School offers over 300 required and elective courses and emphasizes educational excellence and innovation with a focus on mastering basic skills as a foundation for further study. Staff are committed to curricular and co-curricular programs that prepare students for the future. This provides students a vast choice of challenging opportunities and experiences.
STEM and PLTW Programs
The District 196 Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) pathway includes Cedar Park Elementary, Valley Middle School of STEM, and Apple Valley High School (AVHS). AVHS is also the only District 196 high school that is a certified Project Lead the Way (PLTW) site and offers a Fabrication Lab and Multi Media Maker Space available to all students.
STEM education has become increasingly popular as parents and policymakers realize the critical role it plays in enabling the United States to remain the economic and technological leader of the global marketplace. In 2014 District 196 received a $2.99 million federal grant from the Department of Labor to transform Apple Valley High School into a school with a dedicated science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) focus over four years.
Awards and Recognition
- One of America’s Top High Schools 2016 - Newsweek Magazine
- Blue Ribbon School of Excellence - U.S. Department of Education
- Award for Excellence in Content Rich Arts - National Endowment of the Arts
- “140 Best High Schools” in the U.S. - Redbook magazine
- Twelve Schools That Succeed - Phi Delta Kappa Educational Foundation
- “One of Eight Best High School Athletic Programs” in the U.S. - Scholastic Coach and Athletic Journal
- “Minnesota Model Music School” - Minnesota Music Educators Association
- “Grammy Signature School” - National Academy of Recording Arts and Science
- Speech and Debate National “School of Excellence” Award (Top 5 in Nation)
- Emmy Award for EaglEye - National Academy of Arts & Sciences (Upper Midwest Chapter)