Hurricane Navy JROTC
Wren High School
Powdersville High School
To instill in students the values of Citizenship, Service, Personal Responsibility, and A Sense of Accomplishment
The Navy Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (NJROTC) is a leadership program designed to give high school students a head start. NJROTC develops the self-discipline, self-confidence, and leadership skills to help students successfully meet life's challenges. People who are successful in life, who succeed in business, industry, and education have developed strong self-discipline, the ability to lead and motivate others, and a well-rounded character.
"Leadership rests not only upon ability but upon commitment and upon loyalty and upon pride and upon followers... Leadership is not just one quality, but rather a blend of many qualities; and while no one individual possesses all the needed talents to go into leadership, each person can develop a combination to make themself a leader." - Coach Vince Lombardi
WHY WE Want You to Join JROTC!
- Promote Patriotism
- Develop informed and responsible citizens
- Develop respect for constructed authority
- Develop leadership potential
- Promote high school completion
- Promote higher education
- Promote community service
- Develop personal honor, self-reliance, individual discipline and leadership
- Promote an understanding of the basic elements and need for national security
- Provide information on the military services as a possible career pathway
- Provide incentive to live a healthy and drug-free lifestyle
- Civilian Marksmanship Scholarship
- Community & School Service
- Orientation Trips
- Pathway Mentorship
- Physical Training (PT)
- Principled Leadership
- ROTC Scholarship
- Self-Discipline & Confidence
- "Service, College, Career" Pathway
- Team & Social Activities
- U.S. Naval Academy Nomination
Our Core Values
I am accountable for my professional and personal behavior. I will be mindful of the privilege I have to serve others. I will:
- Abide by an uncompromising code of integrity, taking responsibility for my actions and keeping my word.
- Conduct myself in the highest ethical manner in relationships with seniors, peers and subordinates.
- Be honest and truthful in my dealings within and outside the organization.
- Make honest recommendations to my seniors and peers and seek honest recommendations from junior personnel.
- Encourage new ideas and deliver bad news forthrightly.
- Fulfill my ethical responsibilities in my public and personal life.
Courage is the value that gives me the moral and mental strength to do what is right, with confidence and resolution, even in the face of temptation or adversity. I will:
- Have the courage to meet the demands of my profession.
- Make decisions and act in the best interest of the organization, without regard to personal consequences.
- Overcome all challenges while adhering to the highest standards of personal conduct and decency.
- Be loyal to my nation by ensuring the resources entrusted to me are used in an honest, careful and efficient way.
The daily duty of every man and woman in the organization is to join together as a team to improve the quality of our work, our people and ourselves. I will:
- Foster respect up and down the chain of command.
- Care for the personal and spiritual well-being of my people.
- Show respect toward all without regard to race, religion or gender.
- Always strive for positive change and personal improvement.
- Exhibit the highest degree of moral character, professional excellence, quality, and competence in all that I do.
The Cadet Creed
I am a Navy Junior ROTC Cadet.
I strive to promote patriotism and become an informed and responsible citizen.
I respect those in positions of authority.
I support those who have defended freedom and democracy around the world.
I proudly embrace the core values of Honor, Courage and Commitment.
I am committed to excellence and the fair treatment of all.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
Do I need to wear a uniform and cut my hair?
Yes. Maintaining simple uniform and grooming standards are required. Observing the standards is a sign of Respect for those who wear a uniform in their career and not just those who serve in our military. Uniformity is not about stature or class, it is about being part of something greater than yourself. Your individuality will shine brightly in all that you do, but the uniform and grooming standard is necessary for success.
How is JROTC different from other classes in high school?
As Naval Science Instructors, we mentor all cadets and instill in them qualities that will help them become better citizens overall. Besides offering an academic and fitness curriculum, JROTC offers fun experiences and leadership opportunities outside the typical classroom environment to learn drill, participate in community service activities, tour military facilities and visit college ROTC units among many other learning activities that can only be experienced as an enrolled cadet.
JROTC doesn't fit my athletic or academic schedule. What can I do?
Many of our best cadets are focused athletes and academics who understand and value time management. They have learned an important skill early on and are able to maximize their success in many areas. We will work with our Guidance Counselors and Administration to retain quality cadets in the program. We are also updating the Course Planning Guide to better reflect JROTC as an Academic Elective, and will soon offer Honors-level leadership courses to further develop experienced cadets.
My friends say it's "not cool" to be in JROTC, but I'm interested in it.
Participating is a choice only you can make. The experiences you'll have and the friends you'll make in JROTC are just some of the advantages of the program in addition to the foundation for success you'll build. JROTC provides a great deal of fun and positive experiential learning opportunities in a team-oriented environment that you won't get in any other classroom. Join JROTC because you want to, plus you could earn a recruiting ribbon by bringing your friends into the program.
What extra-curricular activities does JROTC offer?
We offer many afterschool activities that support our school and athletic programs, serve our local community, and raise our competitive experience. As a unit, we participate in various clean-up events to beautify our community and campus, visit nearby ROTC programs and military facilities, serve at local non-profit organizations and support various school athletic home events. Additionally, our competitive JROTC teams train each week in Drill, Academics, Marksmanship, Orienteering and STEM activities to improve their skills. Those who do well and compete regularly may earn ribbon awards or JROTC varsity letter.
Why should I join JROTC?
JOIN JROTC if you're interested in the program and want to participate. All classes are eligible and encouraged to enroll. If you desire a fun and unique challenge that will build positive character traits, then join to maximize your potential, identify your pathway opportunity, develop selfless leadership qualities, and build a solid foundation for success in life.
DO NOT JOIN JROTC if you have issues with peer leadership, will not participate, are unwilling to meet simple uniform and grooming standards, or do not understand our core values. Success in anything requires enthusiasm and commitment. We will coach and mentor cadets to the best of our ability, but cannot "fix" students who lack respect and self-discipline.
Why Did You Join NJROTC?
A Compilation of Cadet Reasons “Why”
To belong to something bigger than myself and for the structured environment I needed
To build my confidence and outlook after seeing the sense of pride the cadets have in uniform
To change my course, improve my character and challenge myself in a team environment
To continue on because I enjoyed the unique opportunities I've experienced plus JROTC became family
To have the feeling of pride in choosing to do something most people would not
To help me handle situations more responsibly and confidently at home and school
To learn leadership and develop better life skills that will help me in my future career path