Benefits of a Well-Maintained Lawn
A healthy lawn is in your best interest. Here's why...
- Cooling: The front lawns of a block of eight average homes have the cooling effect of about 70 tons of air conditioning, enough to cool 16 average homes. On a hot summer day, grass can be 10 to 14 degrees cooler than exposed soil and as much as 30 degrees cooler than concrete or asphalt.
- Air Quality: A 50' by 50' well-maintained grass area will create enough oxygen to meet the needs of a family of four every day. Acting like a gigantic sponge, lawns absorb all types of airborne pollutants such as soot, dust and carbon dioxide, as well as noise. Less weeds means less weed pollen, a relief to those with allergies.
- Water Quality: Studies show that healthy lawns absorb rainfall 4-6 times more effectively than farm fields, being exceeded only by virgin forest. Lawns return the moisture to the watertable where it can be used again by everyone. A Penn State University study showed that thick lawns slow the velocity of run-off and allow the water to infiltrate 15 times better from a high quality lawn than from a patchy lawn with a lot of weeds.
- Soil Quality: A healthy lawn prevents erosion by water or wind and the loss of valuable topsoil - less mud and dust in the house.
- Aesthetics: There can be no arguement that a beautiful lawn is immediately pleasing to the eye and relaxing in its appearance. Lawns help to soften and reduce reflected light - less glare.
- Exercise: While some may scorn its needs, others find lawn maintenance requirements an excellent opportunity to enjoy reasonable exercise and a diversion. Homes, athletic fields and parks with healthy lawns provide safer recreation areas when grass acts as a cushion to reduce shock and potential injury.
- Noise: While your lawn is busily performing all of these functions, you may not have noticed...it's very quiet and has no moving parts! Good turf can absorb sound better than heavy carpeting.
- Physical Well-Being: Well-maintained yards reduce nuisance pests such as ticks which can carry disease, and bees which can cause life-threatening allergic reactions from their bites.
- Value: Appraisers estimate that a well-landscaped and maintained lawn adds 7% to the value of residential property. A recent Gallup survey concluded that a 15% increase in selling price can be realized when the home is nicely landscaped.
An average 2500 square-foot lawn contains approximately 2 million separate grass plants.
We are Committed to Safety: Ours & Yours!
Lawn care professionals share a basic goal: to improve the quality of our lives and the quality of our environment. Training, education, careful product selection and proper application allow lawn care professionals to improve our landscape for the benefit of people, pets and the environment. Turf areas under professional care are denser, and healthier, helping to improve and protect the quality of our environment.
Evergreen Lawn Service of Duluth uses only the most environmentally responsible products available. We are committed to minimize pesticide use, and in fact, use the lowest label rate in our formulas. We customize our applications to treat only the plant material which needs spraying. The safety of our products and our lawn applications is a main issue of the turf industry. We are trained, certified and licensed professionals that are very aware of today's environmental concerns, while providing the benefits of healthy, thick oxygen producing and pollutant absorbing turf. The environmental benefits from maintaining healthy turf landscapes are immense: oxygen production, air cooling effects, filtration of polluted rain water, erosion control, noise reduction, etc.