Western Mass Demo Day 2019
Thursday, June 13th
Western Mass Demo Day Connects Local Startups to Investors.
This is an invite-only event for active & accredited investors to hear pitches from startups with a connection to Western Massachusetts. Startups get an optimized way to meet a room full of different investors, many with a strong interest in companies connected to the region. Investors get a first look at the startups, meet the founders, and network with other investors.
This event is organized by a coalition of the region's startup investors including: Launch413, River Valley Investors, Springfield Venture Fund, Milltown Capital, Alchemy Fund, Golden Seeds, the Maroon Fund, and the event is hosted by our friends at Valley Venture Mentors. For regulatory compliance reasons, representatives of other investment groups & funds who wish to attend need simply request an invitation. Members of the local entrepreneurship ecosystem who wish to observe may also request an invitation.
Value Proposition for Startups
If you want to raise money now or in the near future, Western MA Demo Day puts you in a room full of people with money, who actively invest in companies like you, and who are keen to be helpful. And... there is no fee to apply or participate!
How it Works
- Entrepreneurs review the selection criteria and investor profiles (below). They can register for an info session (all via video-conference) if they want to speak directly to the organizers.
- Startups apply by June 4th @ 11:59pm (applications now closed)
- Who has and does not have a slot at the event is announced via email by June 7th @ 11:59pm.
- Demo Day is on June 13th and is a full day event. It begins with 5-minute pitches to the investors (so they can determine which companies are of interest to them). This is followed by structured, speed due diligence sessions to help investors & startups suss out if they are a fit. Investors interested in a startup will leave their contact information. Startups interested in the investors will follow up :). Like any demo day, this is just the beginning of the "dating" process and it takes months to get a firm yes or no.
Startup Selection Criteria
- Linked - Live, raised, educated, business is based, graduated from an entrepreneurship organization (like VVM, LEVER, EforAll, etc), and/or business founded in Berkshire, Franklin, Hampshire, Hampden, or Worcester counties.
- Launched - You have a prototype and/or are generating revenue. People at the "I have an idea" stage should not apply.
- Logical - The 5-minute video pitch you submit clearly articulates your business opportunity (see application for details). Tips:
- The best format is to record your voice over your slides.
- Here is a video sequence demonstrating voice-over-slides while giving tips on strong presentation.
- Here is a template you can use that covers all the items required and includes lots of embedded tips.
Golden Seeds: Seeking companies with gender-diverse management teams within the B2B & B2C technology, health care, and consumer products or services industries .
Actively seeking new companies to invest in.
- 9:00 am - Registration
- 9:20 am - Orientation
- 9:30 am - Investor introductions
- 9:45 am - Morning presenters (first half)
- 10:40 am - Break
- 10:55 am - Morning presenters (second half)
- 12:05 pm - Working lunch, due diligence sessions
- 12:55 pm - Break
- 1:10 pm - Afternoon presenters (first half)
- 2:05 pm - Break
- 2:20 pm - Afternoon presenters (second half)
- 3:10 pm - Due diligence sessions
- 4:00 pm - Break
- 4:15 pm - Postmortems (feedback on how to make next year's version of the event better)
SolaBlock - The pioneers of Vertical Solar, integrating PV technology with construction, creating rugged, self-powered, decentralized buildings.
Aclarity - Aclarity develops electrochemical devices for various applications by removing pathogens, metals, and other impurities from water.
FA Match - We are a career management platform for financial advisors.
Pay4Education - A decision tool that helps families make personalized financial decisions when "purchasing" all four years of college, up front.
Vivify - A mobile/web app that creates and organizes "memories" at the moment they occur and houses them permanently in a private cloud-based vault.
Fields Center - Providing children with autism efficient and effective services
Lioness For The Female Entrepreneur - Lioness gives women the latest news, tools and resources to launch and scale high-growth startups.
PartRunner - On-Demand deliveries for the Trade and Construction Industries
Thimble.io - Online curriculum and hands-on kits for secondary schools that teach students robotics, coding, and tech skills.
Ompractice - The online platform for live, interactive yoga and meditation you can take from anywhere - with a teacher that sees you.
Carv - Carv is a resource management tool that answers core business questions by bridging the gap between sales and resourcing
Autodrop3d - Fully Autonomous 3D Design, Printing and Manufacturing.
Vector Health - Engaging with patients post-clinic to improve treatment and appointment adherence
RecordME - RecordME helps musicians & venues make more money! Studio recordings & streaming services at a fraction of the price of traditional studios.
True Given - A platform that allows organizations to discover, invest and engage in college students
Final Thoughts - Improving mental health outcomes for patients, family members, and unpaid caregivers
Homestead - Converting conventional oil heating systems to locally produced biofuel.
Bookflow - The world's first online writing mentor with an organizational framework to help get projects finished and publication-ready.
WoofTrax - Connecting Pet Brands with their customers who care about cause marketing.
Fabber - We make fabrication software that controls robots that build anything cars to furniture.
The People's Kitchen - Feeding the community: The People’s Kitchen is a shared, 3,500 square foot commercial kitchen in Springfield.
The Everywhere Office - We help business reduce overhead by giving them on-demand access to flexible office space so they can save money and grow their business.
Springfield Macarons - Baking mouth watering French Macarons daily with "no fluff" since 2016.
SolarFi - Affordable solar stations enabled with internet and education for the 1.5 billion people living off grid
21st Biotech - 21st Biotech, creators of Renovare, aim to help treat millions of people whom suffer from skin related injuries up to two times as fast.
BLENDi - BLENDi is a hand held portable blender. We are working on creating a wellness brand with more products as well.
Draba - Local showcase and discovery platform for local events, talent, and businesses.
Notehouse - Simple, affordable, user friendly software for everyone who takes notes on humans.
MyDevData - Proposal productivity software for consultants in the development aid micro-niche.
TernBooking - TernBooking is like a 401(k) for vacation combined with an online travel agency to promote a happy and healthy work-life balance.
Viibe - Viibe is an subscription based data analytics and promotional tool that helps users find local events and experiences.
Wellspring Harvest Corporation - Wellspring Harvest is Springfield's year round source of lettuce and produce while providing jobs for low income cityresidents.
Algo Futures / Sceeto - Developers of Trading Bots & IP, That Expands the Intelligence, Reach & Capabilities of Commodity Traders So That They Are More Successful.
MiCoachee - MiCoachee is a wellness technology company specializing in AI and behavior retention solutions for wellness centers and their members.