I'm beginning my seventh year as a Business teacher. I teach here half days and I also teach half days in Springville. I will be here in the afternoons during the Fall semester of 2017 and in the mornings during the Spring semester of 2018.
I'm always looking to improve in the classroom and as a person in general. I want the best for your child! This includes them learning the content and skills in the Business world and me being a positive role model and helping them shape themselves to live successful and fulfilling lives.
I'm currently pursuing my Master's degree in Educational Leadership from the University of Northern Iowa and will graduate in Spring of 2018. My experiences in the program have helped me become a better classroom teacher and will continue to do so throughout the 2017-18 school year.
My wife, Amanda, and I live in Marion and have two young boys (Kellen (4)/Reece (15 mos.)). I love spending time with my family and close friends. I also love being outdoors, sports, music, exercising, and exploring new places.
- High School: Linn-Mar
- Associates Degree: Kirkwood CC (Business Management)
- Bachelor's Degree: University of Northern Iowa (Business Management)
- Bachelor's Degree: Mount Mercy University (Secondary Education)
- Master's Degree: University of Northern Iowa (Educational Leadership)(Spring 2018)
How students will be graded:
Grades will represent your student's understanding of the essential standards in my classroom. Their behavior may indirectly affect their success in my class, but it will not directly impact their grade. You can see below for my philosophy on retakes, late work, homework and more. I'm in the transition towards standards-based grading (SBG) for all of my classes. This semester my Intro to Business class will be SBG. I have attached my standards for the course in the "Essential standards by course" area below.
Proficiency Scale (Sample):
4: Fully Meets (10/10; 100%; A)
3: Progressing (8.5/10; 85%; B)
2: Developing (7.5/10; 75%; C)
1: Limited Progress (6.5/10; 65%; D)
0: No Evidence (5/10; 50%; F)
Notice: The goal is for every student to attempt every essential assessment, but if they don't, they will receive 5/10 instead of 0/10 in order for their grade to be a more accurate representation of how well they know the standards.
At Alburnett we are non-negotiable on the following:
- “Failure is not an option” mindset
- Separation of academic content and behavior
- Districtwide Proficiency Scale
- Evidence of learning
- Communication of academic content and behavior
- Extra credit/Bonus points are not allowed
Guidelines for retakes:
- Students will be provided the opportunity to retake on any graded classwork
- When I feel a student needs extra support I will request students during Pirate Time to work one-on-one or in a small group setting
- Student must fill out a "Reassessment Request Form" if they want the opportunity to reassess and raise their grade on the specific standard
- Generally, reassessments will be limited to one retake per assessment - additional reassessments will be provided at my discretion.
- Reassessments must be completed in a timely manner that I determine and inform the students in advance of them attempting a reassessment.
- I do not punish for late work - as I said above, there needs to be a separation of academic skills and behavior
- With approximately one week left in the quarter, I will review with every class which work should be completed in order for them to stay on track
- If a student is absent, I may choose to alter the project/assessment if I deem necessary
- If a student is present and using their time wisely they should not have much, if any, work to do outside of class hours
- It is my goal to communicate to students the purpose of everything that we do in class
- I will provide written/verbal feedback on the majority of each student's work
Behavior expectations in my classroom:
- Students will collaborate with the teacher and peers
- Students will responsible for their own learning by taking notes, engaging in class investigations/group work, and completing classwork
- Cell phones are not to be used in my room unless I specifically state it or a student asks for permission
- Inappropriate cell phone use consequences
- I will ask you to put it away
- I will take it and give it to you at the end of class
- I will take it and give it to you at the end of the school day
- I will turn it into the office