1st National Workshop on R for Basic Biostatistics - NAWORB
July 19-21, 2017
Department of Pharmacology - AIIMS, Bhubaneswar
(Supported by Indian Council of Medical Research)
The department of Pharmacology at All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) - Bhubaneswar is organizing a "National Workshop on R for Basic Biostatistics" from July 19 -21, 2017
Aims of the Workshop
- To give an idea about the basic structure and functioning of R programming language
- To manage, analyze (basic functions) and interpret the data generated from research projects and thesis using R as a statistical analysis platform
- Anyone who is interested to learn and new to R
- Medicine/ biology/ other health sector faculties, residents, scientists, research scholars and students
- Programming capabilities - NONE
- A very basic understanding of statistics is preferable but not mandatory
1) Dr. Inderjeet Singh
"Hi All, I am Inderjeet Singh, a Clinical Pharmacologist by qualification, currently working as a Clinical Lead at Intas (Biopharma). Our team is responsible for Clinical Development of Biosimilar Programs of Intas for Global Markets. Prior to Intas , I was a member of clinical team at Biocon and worked as a Principal Investigator at Ranbaxy. My keen interest in Pharmacometrics attracted me to R. I have been using R for Hypothesis testing, PK analysis, PK-PD assessments and Meta-analysis to name a few areas. Presently, I am exploring R for Bayesian Neural Networks for risk assessment in clinical trials. Working with R, over the years, I have realised its simplicity and understood the never-ending process of learning as you tread on the “R” journey."
2) Dr. Guruprasad Padmanabhan
"Hi. I am Dr. Guruprasad Padmanabhan, Head of Research at myCOL.in (Circle of Life), Lado Sarai, New Delhi . I did my M.D. (Pharmacology) and D.M. (Clinical Pharmacology) from AIIMS, New Delhi. As a manager, I am responsible for detection of health insurance fraud using both clinical rules and statistical/machine learning models. I provide training in R programming and machine learning to the peers. My areas of interest are data science, supervised and unsupervised machine learning, numerical optimization, reproducible research, public health and population pharmacokinetics. I am also comfortable in many programming languages – SAS, Python; and learning others (C, C++, Linux Command Line, Perl etc). I enjoy playing badminton, cycling, and trekking."
3) Dr. Praveen Kumar
"Hi. This is Dr Praveen, a Junior Resident in the Department of Pharmacology, PGIMER, Chandigarh. My interest in R begun on the day, when I realised the versatility, elegance and impression, the R statistical software provides for statistical analysis. The R is powerful enough to fit into any field, be it healthcare, finance, investments or social science. My particular interest vest in designing graphical chart with R and in developing interactive web interfaces with R shiny studio. My other interests include core android programming, virtual drug screening for new drug discovery and making the graphical illustrations with Adobe illustrator. Among extracurricular activities, I like long running and inter-state cycling."
4) Dr. Anand Srinivasan
"Hi. I am Dr. Anand Srinivasan. I am an Assistant Professor in the department of Pharmacology at AIIMS, Bhubaneswar. I like working in R because of its flexibility and its unlimited potential in data science. Moreover, R is an open source program unlike some of its other data analysis peers. I use R for statistical analysis of data generated from various clinical studies. I also use it for simulating various situations to answer a myriad of clinical and research questions. It is also a great tool for analyzing the data from population pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic studies. I like reading general science non-fiction and swimming."
5) Dr. Biswa Mohan Padhy
"Hi. I am Dr. Biswa Mohan Padhy, working as an Assistant Professor in Pharmacology at AIIMS, Bhubaneswar. I did my MD in Pharmacology and DM in Clinical Pharmacology at AIIMS, Delhi where I also had an opportunity to learn various aspects of biostatistics. I have been a part of various clinical trials, observational studies and basic research in Pharmacology with animals. I am also interested in Pharmacovigilance. Working in these areas and analyzing the data generated with them helped me in gaining experience in the data analysis using various statistical analysis tools."
Prof. Gitanjali Batmanabane - Director of AIIMS, Bhubaneswar
Prof. Debasish Hota - Head of the department of Pharmacology, AIIMS, Bhubaneswar
Dr. Rituparna Maiti - Associate Professor, Pharmacology, AIIMS, Bhubaneswar
Dr. Biswa Mohan Padhy - Assistant Professor, Pharmacology, AIIMS, Bhubaneswar
Dr. Anand Srinivasan - Assistant Professor, Pharmacology, AIIMS, Bhubaneswar
Dr. Bikash Ranjan Meher - Assistant Professor, Pharmacology, AIIMS, Bhubaneswar
Dr. Monalisa Jena - Assistant Professor, Pharmacology, AIIMS, Bhubaneswar
Dr. Jyoti Prakash Sahoo - Resident, Pharmacology, AIIMS, Bhubaneswar
Dr. Samiksha Bhattacharjee - Resident, Pharmacology, AIIMS, Bhubaneswar
Dr. Archana - Resident, Pharmacology, AIIMS, Bhubaneswar
- INR 5500/- for faculties, personnel from industry and scientists
- INR 4000/- for residents, students and research scholars (researchers pursuing PhD)
- Only Demand Draft will be accepted
The demand draft should be made in favor of "AIIMS, Bhubaneswar", payable at Bhubaneswar. After making the demand draft, please mention your name, designation, place and phone number at the back of it using pencil.
Fee once paid is non-refundable
- Use the google form below to complete the registration process after creating the demand draft for the payment.
- Ensure that you see a confirmation message after the registration. The submitted form will also be sent to your email id. Please check your spam folder if the mail is not present in the inbox.
- Only limited slots are available. Once the slots get filled up, the registration form will be disabled. The participants will be enrolled on "first come, first serve" basis.
- Please send the demand draft to the following address. In case of residents and students, please enclose a letter from your head of the department (thesis guide in case of research scholars (PhD)) for the proof of identity.
Prof. Debasish Hota
Head of the Department
Academic Block, Department of Pharmacology
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Sijua
Bhubaneswar - 751019
- The participation will be confirmed only after the receipt of demand draft (and letter from HOD/guide if applicable) at the above mentioned address
- Accommodation will not be provided and the participants are requested to arrange on their own for the stay at Bhubaneswar.
Instructions to the participants
- Bring your own laptop PC
- Preferred minimal PC configuration - Windows OS - 7 or a higher version, 2 GB RAM or more and Intel i3 (AMD equivalent) or a higher processor. Mac is also preferable.
- Download R 3.4 from this link and follow the installation procedure as mentioned in the site
- Download and install RStudio from this link
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
Bhubaneswar - 751019
Contact information for any query
Dr. Anand Srinivasan: +91-9216996577