The academy invests heavily in several prestigious events throughout the academic year that create positive memories for our students that develop cultural capital. These are a combination of experiential and celebratory events that enrich our students’ lives and engage our local community.
UCA Awards Evening
The Academy Awards is a large scale, prestigious celebration of our student’s achievements and talents. On the evening awards are presented with a variety of awards for character traits displayed throughout the year alongside academic success. Furthermore, we use this opportunity to award some of our individual awards from subject areas such as English, maths and Sport.
Annual Christmas Celebration
- On the last day before the Christmas break the whole school community: students, support staff, maintenance staff, catering staff and teaching staff sit down together in the atrium to enjoy a traditional British Christmas lunch including turkey, crackers and all the trimmings surrounded by live reindeer, snow and festive music.
- This event ensures that every child experiences a traditional family Christmas lunch regardless of their socio-economic or cultural background, embodying the key driver of everyone is valued.
Seasonal Talent Show
- During different periods throughout the year students showcase their talents in order to complete aspects of Performing Arts, Sports, Dance and Drama qualifications whilst also putting on memorable performances for local celebrities and VIP’s.
- This event builds teamwork, confidence and community through competition by pushing students out of their comfort zone and creating a culture where talent is valued and celebrated.
- It also ensures that all students leave the academy with joyous, positive memories of school that last for a lifetime.
The Academy are part of the ‘Cause’ Christmas hamper campaign across the region and we believe this aspect of our curriculum really enforces many of our character traits such as gratitude and empathy. As part of the campaign our own students, families, staff and community members, raise money and also collect food to support the local area in such difficult times. We have delivered hampers to over 100 families in the past 5 years alone, ensuring our students and local community are able to enjoy such an important festive season. Students work in tutor groups and come together then as year teams to collect as much as possible and fundraise for local charities at the same time.
Trips and Visits
This programme provides our students with experiences outside of their socio-economic norm that gives them the confidence to make bold choices beyond their time at Unity City Academy. They also support our students academically and provide opportunities to compete outside the classroom.
Every student visits at least two different universities during their time at Unity City Academy ensuring that they are informed and knowledgeable about university life, financial support and courses available.
These visits ensure that students recognise their academic worth and acquire a genuine belief that the university route is open to them.
Every student visits all local college providers in order to allow them to make fully informed decisions at post 16.
These visits ensure that our students recognise their academic worth and are prepared to make bold choices in order to secure places at the most reputable and highest performing colleges.
Academic Revision Residential
All KS4 students participate in weekend residential visits where they complete revision, participate in team building activities which develop resilience, character and a culture of mutual support and togetherness; creating memories that last for a lifetime.
These residential visits teach the importance of thorough preparation allowing students to reduce and manage stress throughout the exam period and beyond.
Subject Specific Field Trips
All students are provided with fully funded subject specific field trips to enhance, broaden and deepen their understanding of subject concepts.
These trips include:
- Poetry Live (English)
- Beamish (English)
- London Shakespeare Trip (English)
- UKMT Maths challenge (Maths)
- Paris/Normandy (French)
- Holderness Coast field trip (Geography)
- Human Geography field trip (Geography)
- Beth Shalom (History)
- Digital Challenge Day (ICT)
- Northern School of Art (Creative Arts)
- Old Trafford: Manchester United vs European Opposition
- Alton Towers (Attendance trip)
- Cinema trips for Film Studies
- Performing Art workshops with Stockton Council
The whole school community compete on the school site in a large Sports/Fun Day towards the end of the Academic year, competing within their year teams and as tutor groups in a competitive manner in a range of activities.
This event ensures that every student experiences what it feels like to be part of a successful team as well as getting first hand experiences of team camaraderie and team spirit.