Health and Social Care
"When ‘I’ is replaced by ‘we’ even illness becomes wellness”
Health and Social Care is an outstanding department that has a positive and safe learning environment. The subject is designed for students to recognise and enhance skills, knowledge and understanding of the health, social care and early early years’ sectors including the settings, job roles, principles and values involved. Health and Social Care is assessed by both exam and coursework. The department is taught by one full time fully qualified Health and Social Care teacher. The department has grown from strength to strength, in both popularity and success.
This subject is useful for anyone who wishes to work in the health and social care or early years sectors. Students learn a variety of topics based around health, social care and early years settings e.g. communication, diet and nutrition, development through the life stages, pregnancy and childbirth which all prepare students for further training, higher education and moving into employment within the health and social care and early years sectors.
The aims of the department
- Improve independence and resilience of all students
- Outstanding teaching, learning and progress every lesson
- Outstanding results
- A calm learning environment which is accessible for all
- Promote kindness and empathy
- Showcase different careers within the sector
The department holds a range of extracurricular activities from students completing Health and Social Care BTEC as an extra GCSE, coursework catch up and revision sessions.
Career opportunities are: dietician, medical secretary, primary teacher, nurse, midwife, nursery nurse, paramedic, occupational therapist, activities organiser and social worker.
Key Stage 4
BTEC Level 1/2 First Tech Award in Health & Social Care
- Human Lifespan Development - internally assessed (coursework)
- Health and Social Care Values - internally assessed (coursework)
- Health and Wellbeing - external synoptic (exam)
- Mrs Wascoe – Teacher
- Miss Harrison - Teacher
- Miss Dunn - Teacher