Special Educational Needs & Disability
Ethos and Overview
The college welcomes all children who would cope with and benefit from a mainstream secondary curriculum. Students with particular special educational needs are supported as appropriate, by high quality teaching in the classroom, extra help in lessons, by having some tuition in small groups, and in some cases by personal tuition. Students with physical disabilities are given every possible support and encouragement to achieve access to the mainstream curriculum. All students with special educational needs participate fully and we believe successfully, in the College community throughout their time here.
Learning Support Department Staff Structure
- Mr M Watson - Assistant Principal holds National Award for Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator
- Mrs S Fuller - SEN Year Manager and Dyslexia Programme Manager
- Mrs M Greene - SEN Year Manager and Curriculum LSA Manager
- Mrs K Hawthorne - SEN Year Manager
- Mrs J Shiell - SEN Year Manager and Student Specific LSA Manager
- Mrs A Tedford - SEN Year Manager and Dyslexia Programme Manager
The SEN Year Manager stays with their year group while at each campus.
Mrs Hawthorne and Mrs Tedford are based at Frinton Campus.
Mrs Fuller, Mrs Greene and Mrs Shiell are based at Thorpe Campus.
Mr M Watson
Special Needs Facilities:
- Both campuses have disabled toilet facilities.
- Both campuses have a hygiene room that provides facilities for showering and changing. This room also contains a hoist.
- Both campuses are fully accessible due to a lift system and overall changes to the sites.
- Columns and poles are colour coded in yellow/black to aid identification for Visually Impaired students.
- Stair treads are regularly checked and colour coded if needed.
- Personal Evacuations Plans are written up for every student with a disability, in the event of a fire.
- Learning Support Assistance will accompany identified students on trips, visits etc. where necessary.
- Annual Reviews are conducted to check on the progression and entitlement of students.