Art at Richmond Park Academy gives students the opportunity to explore visual, tactile and other sensory experiences to communicate ideas and meanings. They work with traditional and new media, developing confidence, competence, imagination and creativity. They learn to appreciate and value images and artefacts across times and cultures, and to understand the contexts in which they were made. Students are encouraged to reflect critically on their own and other people’s work, judging quality, value and meaning.
Art and Design is a popular choice for students in GCSE. The GCSE course encourages an adventurous and enquiring approach to art and design. They learn to think and act as artists, craftspeople and designers, working creatively and intelligently.
Ms M Gomez - Subject Leader
Ms A Eastham
Key Stage 3
In Key Stage 3, students have one session per week. They have the opportunities to explore a broad range of media and techniques and are exposed to Art from across times and cultures. Students will work with a broad range of materials such as paints, charcoal, graphite and oil pastels to produce both figurative and abstract work and will study a range of artists relating to the topics.
The students study the following units:
- The Elements of Art and Observational Drawing
- Urban Landscapes
- Inspired by Nature
- Graphics: the emotive word, typography and logo designs
- Movement in Art
- Mexican Art
- Animal Textures
- Pop Art
Key Stage 4
GCSE in Art & Design
Exam Board: AQA
- Unit 1: I, Me, Mine
- Unit 2: Natural Forms
- Unit 3: Everyday Objects
- Unit 4: Final Exam – Externally Set Assignment
- Units 1- 3 are the portfolio component which is 60% of the overall grade.
- Unit 4, the final exam set by the exam board, is worth 40% of the overall grade.
- It is a mandatory requirement that students keep a work journal for each unit of work.
- Students will be assessed on their ability to demonstrate the four Assessment Objectives A01, A02, A03, A04 and then given an overall grade from an A* - U.
A01 Develop their ideas through investigations informed by contextual and other sources demonstrating analytical and cultural understanding 25%
A02 Refine their ideas through experimenting and selecting appropriate resources, media, materials, techniques and processes 25%
A03 Record ideas, observations and insights relevant to their intentions in visual and/or other forms 25%
A04 Present a personal, informed and meaningful response demonstrating analytical and critical understanding, realising intentions and where appropriate, making connections between visual, written, oral or other elements. 25%
Yr 12 AS
- Unit 1 Emotions in Portraiture
- Unit 2 Externally set assignment
Yr 13 A2
- Unit 3 Personal investigation
- Unit 4 Exam paper