Behaviour and Discipline
Richmond Park Academy is committed to the very highest standards of behaviour. The academy will stop at nothing to fulfil its promise that no child’s progress will ever be negatively impacted by the behaviour of others. It is every child’s right to study in an environment that is quiet, calm and focused.
Where students are unable to adhere to these expectations, there will be both sanction and support. The academy believes sanctions help students to understand that they have fallen below our expectations and it believes that with our support they will be able to better shape their future choices.
The overarching aim of our behaviour policy is to create a school community, whose sense of responsibility to themselves, each other and the wider community empowers our students to achieve in all aspects of their lives.
The aims of the behaviour policy are to:
- Establish clear expectations for students’ behaviour in lessons, around school and in the immediate community
- Outline the behaviour management policy for lessons that should be used by all teaching and support staff in the classroom
- Explicate the expectations for behaviour in the classroom and the ‘three-stage plan’
- Describe the process by which sanctions are decided, as well as the sanctions used for different types of behaviour
- Describe the types of bespoke support and intervention that will be used where a student’s behaviour needs improving
- Promote, among students, self-discipline and proper regard for authority and positive relationships based on mutual respect
- Encourage good behaviour and respect for others on the part of students and, in particular, prevent all forms of bullying between students
- Ensure fairness of treatment for all
- Encourage consistency of response to both positive and negative behaviour
- Encourage a positive relationship with parents and carers to develop a shared approach to involve them in the implementation of the Academy’s policy and associated procedures
The policy makes clear which members of staff have specific responsibility for key areas of sanctions, and for promoting good behaviour on and off site. For more detailed information on the type of incident and related sanctions, please refer to the Richmond Park Behaviour Ladder.
For more information on behaviour and discipline you can read the Behaviour Policy here.