School Direct Teacher Training
Maltings Academy is part of the Eastern Cluster of schools within Academies Enterprise Trust (AET) and works in partnership with Essex Teacher Training to deliver high quality teacher training. We are currently recruiting for School Direct teacher training applications for September 2019.
Why choose us?
- Excellent support for Teacher Trainees and NQTs including an induction training week in July
- Opportunities to work for us on a casual basis prior to starting training to get to know the academy, students and staff
- Flexible CPD programme
- Excellent career opportunities - many of our trainees have gone on to complete their NQT year with us and some have rapidly progressed to leadership positions.
- Opportunity to teach KS5
- Graded ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted
- State of the art building offering fantastic facilities to staff and students
- Discounted membership at Witham Leisure Centre and other local centres within the Fusion group
- Excellent catering provided by CucinA
- Free car parking
- Close links with New Rickstones Academy (2 miles away) providing further CPD opportunities and career opportunities.
Funding your training
There are three types of funding available for teacher training - depending on your circumstances, you could receive all three:
- Tax-free bursary or scholarship
- Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan
- Extra financial support if you're a parent, have an adult dependant or a disability.
For more information see https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/funding-my-teacher-training.
Alternatively, you could earn a salary while you train. Please see https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/explore-my-options/teacher-training-routes/school-led-training/school-direct-salaried
Our 2019-20 School Direct Training places
Below are the places and codes for Maltings Academy and our sister academy, New Rickstones Academy. If you have any queries please contact us.
You should be a graduate with GCSE grade C / 4 (or standard equivalent) in Maths and English.
If all or part of your qualifications are from outside the UK, you will be asked to verify these through UK NARIC.
Subject knowledge enhancement courses (SKE)
Don’t hold back from applying for teacher training due to subject confidence - you can top up your subject knowledge with an SKE. These fully funded courses are available if:
- your degree wasn’t in your chosen subject, but is closely related
- you studied the subject at A level, but not at degree level
- you have an unrelated degree, but relevant professional experience in the subject
- it's been some time since you used your degree knowledge
For more information please see https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/explore-my-options/teacher-training-routes/subject-knowledge-enhancement-ske-courses
What do we look for in our trainees?
- Ability to listen to and act on feedback
- Effective communicator
- Passion for teaching and a genuine interest in how children learn
- Strong commitment to the success and happiness of our children
- High expectations for self and students
- Drive and ambition to ensure high standards
- Team spirit
- Good subject knowledge
- Analytical thinker
How to apply
Applications are made online through the UCAS Teacher Training website https://www.ucas.com/postgraduate/teacher-training/ucas-teacher-training-apply-and-track.
- Provider Name: Academies Enterprise Trust - Eastern
- Provider Code: 2CG
- Campus Code: M
UCAS training programme codes can be found above in 'Our 2019-20 School Direct Training places'. If you need help with your application process please contact us.
How do we select our trainees?
We shortlist based on relevant school experience and appropriate qualifications.
Interviews will be held at the academy and will include meeting the Head of Academy, an academy tour , teaching a lesson, a literacy test and a panel interview. You will be told in advance about the content of the lesson and the age group you will be teaching. It is a rigorous and thorough process, designed to get the best match of applicant to the places available.
Our academies are committed to safeguarding and protecting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. A Disclosure and Barring Service Certificate at Enhanced Level will be required for all posts.
Applicants are very welcome to get in touch, either for an informal chat on by telephone, or to book a tour to come and meet us and have a look around.
We also participate in the School Education Programme (SEP) which provides classroom experience to help you to decide whether teaching is right for you - please see https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/school-experience.
For all School Direct and School Experience enquiries, please contact Sally Havard, ITT Lead - 01376 512 911 / email@example.com.