Special Education Needs Department
The main aim of SEN Support is to ensure that Kingswood Academy does everything it can to enable all students; regardless of ability have the opportunity to fulfil their potential.
This is done through:
- Ensuring that all pupils have access to a curriculum which has been differentiated appropriately to the individual’s ability
- Breaking down ‘barriers to learning’ and giving the students the opportunity to access a relevant and appropriate curriculum
- Ensuring the investigation of each case where a student may require additional provision as soon as a concern is expressed by staff, parent/carer and/or pupil
- Investigating and facilitating the most appropriate interventions
- Sharing information with staff
- Putting in place the most appropriate exam access arrangements within statutory guidance and legal frameworks
To identify and assess students who may require the support of the SEN Team, the following information is considered:
- Data and information provided by staff at Kingswood Academy and outside agencies
- Information from previous schools
- Information from parents/carers, for example, results of tests by medical staff
- Initial and regular screening for literacy difficulties
The team also supports students who have a Statement of Special Educational Needs or Educations Health and Care plan provided by their local authority.
The team consists of a SENCo, and LSAs who can provide individual, group and in class help and support for pupils with Special Educational Needs. Staff assist children with their educational and social development outside of the classroom to enable students to fully access the high quality teaching within the classroom for all subjects. They also organise and run break time, lunchtime and after school interventions.
We are constantly researching and investigating new interventions to effectively support our students. We aim to ensure that all pupils can access the curriculum and make as much progress in line with their potential.