Parent Consultation Evenings:
Year 7: Wednesday 18th March 2020
Year 8: Wednesday 15th January 2020
Year 9: Wednesday 12th February 2020
Year 10: Wednesday 4th December 2019
Year 11: Wednesday 29th January 2020; Wednesday 22nd April 2020
Our Vision is:
'to deliver world class learning, which places no limits on what young people can achieve' and we are rapidly becoming 'a national beacon of educational excellence in Hull'.
As a national beacon of educational excellence we will ensure that:
- All students leave our academy with first-rate qualifications: Qualifications that ensure all doors remain open, giving our students the platform to compete and thrive on a global stage.
- All students develop exceptional character: Character that exemplifies a true growth mind-set; a phenomenal work ethic; confidence and high levels of grit, resilience and determination; ensuring they are fully prepared to flourish in an ever-changing world.
- All students leave our academy with high levels of cultural and global awareness: Awareness that develops through diverse experiences that enrich our students, enabling them to engage in, empathise with, challenge and debate current affairs beyond their local community.
- All students leave with an array of positive memories that last for a lifetime: Memories that are created from students, staff and our community being fully invested in forging exceptional relationships based on trust, care, high expectations and a passion for genuinely making a difference in their life.
Ultimately our Mission is to ensure that: ‘all students have an inner-belief and ambition to fulfil their dreams and live a happy and successful life.’ We are passionate about our students ‘recognising their academic worth’ and making sure that they are ‘prepared to make bold choices in order to secure places, and thrive, at the most reputable and highest performing colleges, universities and world-class employers.’
Underpinning our vision for educational excellence are our 6 key drivers:
These aspirational and inspirational core principles are central to everything that we do and were jointly created by students and staff to drive the academy forward. At Kingswood Academy, we live and breathe these key drivers with an unwavering passion and determination to ensure that our students receive the best education; we will not settle for anything but the best, and will not rest until the academy is truly great in all areas.
World-Class Teaching and Learning
We are truly passionate about Teaching and Learning and this is central to everything that we do. We firmly believe that when every teacher:
- Is passionate about changing life chances of young people
- Is passionate about Teaching and Learning
- Truly loves their subject
- Makes learning interesting, fun and relevant
- Knows the detail and nuances of the exam specifications
- Forges excellent relationships with all students
- Is strict but fair
- Is proven and knows how to deliver top notch results
- Is passionate about delivering outstanding learning (every lesson, every day)
- Has a true growth mind-set;
then genuine sustainable school improvement takes place. We are passionate about ensuring every classroom in our academy is filled with this type of teacher.
We are also very proud of our competition-based house system. The aim of the house system is to build teamwork, confidence and community through competition. We see the house system as an ‘activator’; a vehicle to motivate and encourage students to push themselves outside of their comfort zone. There are four houses:
Every student, and every member of staff, is affiliated to one of the houses and they compete to earn points for their house. Students can earn points for good attendance and for making rapid academic progress. They can also earn points by entering house competitions such as: photography, dance, cookery, poetry, chess, talent shows and sports day to name but a few. You name it, we’ve got a competition to enable everyone to get involved. We want every student to gain the confidence and belief to compete and experience what it feels like to be part of a successful team. The house system also exposes our students to team camaraderie, team spirit and having a united mission/goal.
In 2018, for the fourth year running, we celebrated our best ever GCSE results. We again, had significant increases in the number of students achieving grade 4 and grade 5 in both English and Maths. Our progress scores were excellent too and our Progress 8 score of +0.74 means that we are now one of the top performing schools in Yorkshire and ranked 129th out of 6648 schools nationally. In 2018, 61% of our students were disadvantaged and our Progress 8 score for these students was +0.66. Our SEN student's Progress 8 was +0.88 showing that all students at Kingswood Academy make good progress in every subject, regardless of their starting point and background.
Our last Ofsted inspection took place in February 2018 where Kingswood Academy was rated ‘good’ in all categories. The Ofsted report was extremely positive and outlines the vast array of improvements which have been made over the last three years on our journey from ‘Inadequate’ to ‘Good’.
- “The school has improved in many ways as a results of the Headteacher’s passionate and determined leadership.”
- “Over time, leaders have worked relentlessly to improve pupils’ outcomes. In the last two years, the progress of pupils has improved significantly, including in mathematics and science. Pupils now make progress that is above others nationally in most subjects.”
- “Disadvantaged pupils and pupils who have SEN and/or disabilities make very good progress in most subjects. The high-quality support for current pupils who have SEN is allowing them to make very good progress.”
- “The quality of teaching has improved and is now good.”
- “There is a strong culture of safeguarding throughout the school. Pupils feel safe and appreciate the genuine care and support offered by teachers and other staff.”
- “The behaviour of pupils is good. Pupils show respect for each other, staff and the school environment”.
- “Pupils’ attendance is now above others nationally.”
- “Governors are ambitious in their expectations of leaders. They make regular visits to the school and have an accurate understanding of its strengths and what needs to be improved.
This Ofsted report, along with our 2018 results, show that Kingswood Academy is now a truly great school. There is still room for further improvement though, and the leadership team and I are not complacent. We will not be satisfied until Kingswood Academy is truly ‘Outstanding’ in all areas and we are working tirelessly with staff, students, parents and governors to ensure we achieve our vision of turning Kingswood Academy into the national beacon of educational excellence that this community deserves.
Finally, the best way to see a school is to visit it during a normal school day, to see the school in action. We are so confident that you will be impressed by our day-to-day provision that we would encourage you to just arrive at our reception, at a time and date that suits you, request a tour and the Headteacher or another member of our senior team will be more than happy to provide you with a comprehensive tour of our academy.