Performing Arts and Dance
During year 11 students are given the opportunity to pick up an extra qualification during their core physical education lesson. If they choose to take part in the BTEC Performing Arts - Dance they will be working on three units of work (listed below) during their core PE lesson throughout the year.
Teachers of Performing Arts – Dance
Ms A Fiddes-Kapadia - Team Leader
Mr M Pitts - PE teacher
Mr D Eustace - PE teacher
The qualification aims to:
The Pearson BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Performing Arts has been designed primarily for young people aged 14 to 19 but it is also suitable for other learners who want a vocationally focused introduction to this area of study. It has been developed to:
- encourage personal development through practical participation and performance in a range of performing arts disciplines
- give learners a wider understanding and appreciation of performing arts through defined pathways
- provide education and training for performing arts employees
- give opportunities for performing arts employees to achieve a nationally
- recognised level 1 or level 2 vocationally specific qualification
- give full-time learners the opportunity to progress to other vocational qualifications, such as BTEC Nationals, specifically the Pearson BTEC Level 3 in Performing Arts (QCF), and, in due course, to progress to employment in the performing arts sector
- give full-time learners the opportunity to progress to general qualifications
- give learners the opportunity to develop a range of skills, techniques and personal attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
The Pearson BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Performing Arts is taught over 120 guided learning hours (GLH). It has core and optional specialist units.
Learners must complete the two core units and a choice of optional specialist units to reach a total of 120 GLH.
This BTEC First Award has units that your centre assesses (internal) and a unit that Pearson sets and marks (external).
Units Consist of:
Unit 1: Individual Showcase (externally assessed)
Unit 2: Preperation, performance and production
Unit 4: Dance skills
The Pearson BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Performing Arts provides a good foundation for learners in post-16 education. The qualification provides a suitable foundation for further study within the sector through progression on to qualifications, such as BTEC Nationals, specifically the Pearson BTEC Level 3 in Performing Arts. Alternatively, the underpinning knowledge, practical and vocational skills learnt on the BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Performing Arts will enhance and support progression to a competency-based course. Successful learners at level 2 may also consider general qualifications at level 3 such as GCE AS or A Levels in Drama and Theatre Studies and Performing Arts. Learners who achieve the qualification at level 1 may progress to level 2 or consider progression to general qualifications such as GCSE Drama.