Edexcel BTEC Level 1 / 2 Award in Sport
Teachers of PE
Ms A Fiddes-Kapadia - Team Leader
Mr M Pitts - PE teacher
Mr D Eustace - PE teacher
This qualification aims to:
- encourage personal development
- through practical participation and
- performance in a range of sports and
- exercise activities
- give learners a wider understanding and
- appreciation of health-related fitness,
- sports and exercise through a selection
- of optional specialist units
- encourage learners to develop their
- people, communication, planning and
- team-working skills by having the
- opportunity to select from optional units
- available in the qualification structure
- give opportunities for sport, leisure and recreation employees to achieve a nationally recognised level 1 or level 2 vocationally-specific qualification
- give learners the opportunity to develop a range of skills and techniques, personal skills and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
The Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Sport includes an externally assessed unit in the core to introduce externality into vocational programmes of study is a level 2 qualification, however, it is graded at Level 2 Pass, Level 2 Merit, Level 2 Distinction, Level 2 Distinction*, Level 1 and Unclassified.
Units Consist of:
(of which 4 will be studied)
- Unit 1: Fitness for Sport and Exercise
- Unit 2: Practical Sports Performance
- Unit 3: The Mind and Sports Performance
- Unit 4: The Sports Performer in Action
- Unit 5: Training for Personal Fitness
- Unit 6: Leading Sports Activities
Achievement at Level 2 provides the foundation for further study within the sector through progression to other vocational qualifications, such as Edexcel BTEC Level 3 qualifications in Sport or Sport and Exercise Sciences. The underpinning knowledge and practical and vocational skills learnt will enhance and support progression to a relevant competency-based qualification, such as the Edexcel Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Sports Development (QCF), or the Edexcel Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Leisure Management (QCF). Successful learners at Level 2 may wish to consider general qualifications at Level 3, such as a GCE in Physical Education or Leisure Studies.
Learners who achieve the qualification at Level 1 may progress to a Level 1 NVQ, such as the Edexcel Level 1 NVQ Award in Sport and Active Leisure (QCF), or a BTEC Level 2 qualification in a related sector. Alternatively, learners may progress to other competency-based qualifications, such as the Edexcel Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Active Leisure, Learning and Well-being Operational Services (QCF) or the Edexcel Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Activity Leadership (QCF). Alternatively, learners may wish to consider progression to general qualifications such as a GCSE in Physical Education.
(Edexcel specification 2012 onward)
Students have a double lesson per week in which they study a broad range of activities to enhance their knowledge and understanding of the requirements of sport as well as a positive approach to a healthy and active lifestyle.
Sports are studied on a 3-week rotation and include:
Year group aims:
- Year 7: building the basics in order to be successful.
- Year 8: using tactical approaches in order to outwit opponents, building on thought processes and decision-making.
- Year 9: developing leadership skills in preparation for their GCSE years and beyond.
All students are graded every lesson on their Attitude to Learning (ATL). For every 3 'outstandings' per ½ term, a postcard will be sent home.
Students are formally assessed every three weeks. Grades are shared in the lessons to give students the opportunity to understand where they are and what to do to progress.
Other relevant information