Moving on to College
You may want to consider applying to college. It is worth giving yourself time to think about this, and start looking into attending some open days/evenings at your chosen institution. This will allow you to get a feel for whether you would be comfortable there, as being happy in your surroundings is important.
What is it like there?
College environment is more laid back then 6th form and school. You are allowed to wear your own clothes and you are responsible for your time keeping. Some tutors will also let you call them by their first names.
You will still have a structured timetable to follow and the college will expect you to attend all classes, and if you have any free periods you will not be expected to stay on site.
How can I find out more?
If you are still unsure about whether attending college is right for you, here’s some things you can start doing now:
- Start attending college open days/evening - make sure you visit a few institutions; this will help you to confirm that you’ve made the right choice
- Talk to current students that already attend college
- Talk to the lecturers - especially the ones that will be teaching you on your course
- Check you meet the entry requirements
- Make sure the college offers the course you want
- Start talking to people you trust, who can offer advice - parents, teachers or careers adviser
Please see the local college opportunities that are available to you: