Child Protection at Charles Warren Academy
Under the Children’s Act 1989, Charles Warren Academy has a general duty to safeguard and promote the well being of children in their care. The care and needs of each individual child is of paramount concern and the staff at the academy will work to protect the children in our care should the need be apparent.
The academy has a well established ‘Child Protection Policy’ that meets with statutory requirements. The designated responsible person is Miss Holland (Principal), who will deal with any area of concern brought to her attention. Should there be sufficient cause for concern she will contact other agencies in order to ensure that children are protected in every conceivable way. In her absence, the responsibility for action is delegated to Lydia Read or Sandy Collura.
The welfare of each child is paramount but it is recognised that over reacting to a situation can be damaging to both the individual and possibly the family. Therefore, each incident will be thoroughly discussed and assessed within its own context, explanations and circumstances considered.
The academy has secure external fencing to its perimeter. Additional internal fencing ensures the safety of children whilst on the school premises. There are CCTV cameras on the academy site which operate 24 hours a day. Our best security device remains the ears and eyes of the people who work at the academy.
An automated barrier to the academy premises ensures agreed access only. Academy gates are opened at 8.30 a.m. and 3.00 p.m. The Facilities Manager opens the gates. The gates are closed at 9.00 a.m. and 4.00 p.m. Access at all other times are by intercom system only.
- No external classroom doors around the academy have handles on the outside. Doors can be locked from the inside.
- An Entry system has been installed on the main entrance door. Access can only be gained by staff, or by buzzing, when entry will then be given.
- A ‘signing-in’ system is in operation for all visitors and parent helpers to the academy, who are required to wear identity badges.
- All visitors/parent helpers/governors in the academy are CRB checked.
- All professionals have to provide identification.
- When the academy is closed, there is an extensive alarm system in place which alerts the keyholder.
- All staff wear badges to enable them to be identified.
- All visitors wear colour coded badges to identify them.