Year 5 - Miss C Kirkbride & Mrs L McClean
Please remember PE is part of the school curriculum and therefore every child must take part unless a letter has been received with a valid reason for missing the session.
Our PE session is on Tuesday afternoon. Please ensure your child has a full PE kit of a white T-shirt and black shorts. This also includes trainers or plimsols as PE will take place outside whilst the weather permits. Jogging bottoms are an option if the weather is still cold.
Please ensure that children with long hair have this tied up and earrings are removed.
- Each week the children are given spellings to learn, these are given out every Friday and tested the following Friday. There is an opportunity to win a very smart badge each half term for our spelling champions
- Times tables should be practiced every evening, these include inverse operations (e.g. 3 x 12 = 36 and 36 ÷ 12 = 3) squared numbers ( a x a = ) and cubed numbers (a x a x a =)
- Reading is expected to take place each evening. This can include texts at home, newspapers and poetry. Reading records will be checked daily, please sign your child’s reading record each evening to acknowledge your support.
- Comprehension and SPaG homework will be given in published books and Topic homework will be given at the beginning of the term with completion dates attached.
- Thank you again for your support in this area—homework is a necessary preparation for year 6 and secondary school. Please do not hesitate to speak to myself or Mrs Skipper if you have any concerns in this area.
Year 5 will be both diverse and challenging. Topic areas will be linked, wherever possible, to literacy and maths to ensure you have lots of practise and opportunities, and your knowledge and understanding is embedded. You will be expected to try your best and work hard. We will also focus on learning skills such as resilience, collaboration and communicating, these will contribute in us being successful learners. Homework will be an important reinforcement tool to help you achieve mastery with the standards. I ask that you support us in making sure your child completes their homework on time and returns on or before the date given.
Class visits and Parent come to school sessions
Visits and opportunities for parents to come into the class and celebrate children’s learning are very exciting and an important part of children’s learning. We plan trips and class events very carefully to give children real life experiences which they can use in their learning. These experiences give purpose to children’s writing and add to children’s knowledge and understanding, in turn, making their writing more successful, as well as offering them social situations in which to learn from.
‘Come to school sessions’ and ‘exhibitions’ are an opportunity for you to see first hand what your child has been learning and how they interact in different situations. Information will be sent out when these events take place and we hope as many parents, carers, grandparents and others’ will support us by attending.
Please come in and speak to us if finding payments for trips is an issue. We ask for a voluntary contribution towards these trips, and are very willing to organize payment plans to help out. Class visits are part of our curriculum learning and therefore children need to attend school on that day. I will endeavor to give as much notice as possible when a class trip is due to give families enough time to make payments or speak with me as required.