Free School Meals
There is clear evidence that children learn better if they eat properly during the school day. If you believe you may be eligible for FSM for your child, we would urge you to apply and encourage your child to eat a good meal every day. Applications for FSM for all children attending Broadlands Academy are processed by B&NES Council (regardless of whether you are resident in Bristol or B&NES). Although B&NES Council administers the scheme, the government sets FSM eligibility criteria.
You can get free school meals if you receive one or more of the following:
- Income Support
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit without any Working Tax Credit and an annual household income of not more than £16,190
- Guarantee Element of Pension Credit
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
If you receive any Working Tax Credit you cannot get free school meals.
You can get an application form from:
- The Finance Office, Broadlands Academy
- Free School Meals Team on 01225 394317 and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bath & North East Somerset Council’s website www.bathnes.gov.uk/educationandlearning/schoolsand colleges//schoolmeals/
If you have any queries concerning free school meals at Broadlands please contact Chris Jones at the Academy on 0117 9161108 or, alternatively, B&NES FSM on 01225 394317 (10am to 4pm) email: email@example.com. Completed application forms can be returned to Chris Jones at the Academy or sent direct to Free School Meals, Children Services Finance, B&NES Council, PO Box 25, Riverside, Keynsham, Bristol, BS31 1DN. The Local Authority will check eligible benefits on your behalf using the DFE online Free School Meal Eligibility checking service and no paper proof of benefit is required at the application stage.
You will be notified by B&NES Council when your child’s 6-month eligibility has been approved. Your child will then be able to collect a meal from any of the Academy’s servery points at morning break or lunchtime. Your child will not have to produce evidence of their eligibility when they collect their meal. Our FSM packages are flexible, and can be based on a sandwich, pasta king pot, panini, jacket potato or a hot or cold plated meal.
It is important that you register your child for Free School Meals if you receive any of the eligible benefits. Registering for Free School Meals attracts additional funding for the Academy and may also qualify your child for additional financial support for other activities e.g. Trips.