Year 9 Options
Making curriculum choices in Year 9 is a very important decision as it will shape your time at school for the next two years and beyond. It is also an exciting opportunity to think very carefully about your future aspirations.
There will be core subjects that everyone will study but you will also have a choice of optional subjects. It is important to choose subjects that you are interested in so you will be motivated to work hard. Take advice from your current subject teacher and think about the way the course and exams are structured. This process of researching, reflection and discussion is very important as we offer a range of subjects, including some that were not studied in Key Stage 3. It is therefore essential to take time to understand what each course offers, what combinations are possible, and what is most suitable for each student as an individual.
Think as well about future studies:
- What grades will you need if you wish to study the subject further at Sixth Form?
- What subjects would be useful for a university course or career aspiration?
Our 2020-21 Year 9 Options booklet is available to view and download below:
Good reasons for choosing an option:
- You are good at the subject
- Your research shows it will interest you and motivate you to learn
- It helps to give you plenty of choice post 16
- You may want to continue studying the subject post 16
- It fits your career ideas and plans
Bad reasons for choosing an option:
- Your friends have chosen it
- You think it will be easy
- You think it is a good option for a boy/girl
- Someone else thinks it is a good idea
- You like the teacher you have now for this subject
We are always happy to offer further advice or information once you have read the option booklet. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.