These arrangements are established in accordance with Annex 1 of the Academy’s Supplemental Funding Agreement.
Academies Enterprise Trust is the Admissions Authority for the academy.
Barton Hill Academy has an agreed Published Admission Number (PAN) of 90 pupils for entry in Reception Year. The Academy will accordingly admit at least 90 pupils in the relevant age group each year if sufficient applications are received. All applicants will be admitted if 90 or fewer apply.
If the Academy is oversubscribed, after the admission of pupils with Statements of Special Educational Needs where the school is named in the Statement. Priority for admission will be given to those children who meet the criteria set out below, in priority order:
- Looked after children and previously looked after children. A looked after child is a child who is (a) in the care of a local authority or (b) being provided with accommodation by a local authority in the exercise of their social services functions (see definition in section 22(1) of the Children Act 1989). A previously looked after child is a child who was adopted or subject to a residence order, or special guardianship order, immediately following having been looked after.
- Children living in the designated area who will have a sibling on roll at the school at the time of admission. Measurements are taken by a straightline distance using the Council’s electronic mapping system. Measurements will be taken from an internal point of the building concerned. This is for admissions purposes only and is not to determine eligibility for school transport.
- Other children living in the designated area.
- Children living outside the designated area who will have a sibling on roll at the school at the time of admission.
- Children living outside the designated area.
If it is necessary to use a tie-breaker to distinguish between two or more applications, a distance criterion will be used. We will give priority to the applicants who live nearest to the school as measured by a straight line from the front door of the home of the applicant to the front door of the main reception of the school site that was on the original application for a place. In the event that applicants cannot be separated using the distance tie breaker, the allocation of a place will be by lot.
Operation of waiting lists
Subject to any provisions regarding waiting lists in the coordinated admission scheme, the Academy will operate a waiting list. Where in any year the Academy receives more applications for places than there are places available, a waiting list will operate until the end of the first school term. This will be maintained by the Academy and it will be open to any parent to ask for his or her child’s name to be placed on the waiting list, following an unsuccessful application. Places from the waiting list will be offered in the priority order set out above, not in order of the date applications are made.
Parents who wish to appeal against the decision of the Admissions Authority to refuse their child a place in the academy may apply in writing to the AET Board of Directors at the following address:
Academies Enterprise Trust Board of Directors
183 Eversholt St, Kings Cross, London NW1 1BU
Tel: 020 3947 5700
Appeals will be heard by an independent panel.
Admissions Policy 2018-19
Consultation for Admission Arrangements 2019-20
Barton Hill Academy
Barton Hill Road, Torquay, TQ2 8JA