Phonics & Reading
At Barton Hill Academy we follow the Sounds~Write phonics programme in Reception and Year 1.
Sounds-Write is a quality first phonics scheme and is acknowledged by the DfE as meeting all its criteria for an effective phonics teaching programme.
Sounds-Write is effective in teaching pupils to read, spell and write because it starts from what all children know from a very early age – the sounds of their own language. From there, it takes them in carefully sequenced, incremental steps and teaches them how each of the 44 or so sounds in the English language can be spelt.
For more information on the Sounds~Write programme visit their website HERE, We also deliver regular phonics training for parents so they can help support their children at home.
Download the Sounds~Write leaflet for Parents HERE
Barton Hill Academy also uses the Phonics Bug teaching programme by Pearson to supplement the phonics teaching in Foundation and Key Stage 1.
- Phonics Bug meets 100% of the DfE criteria for teaching systematic synthetic phonics and helps children succeed in their screening check to boot!
- Encourages young readers with beautiful artwork, humour, loveable characters and books and topics they really want to read.
- Fast, effective phonics lessons using CBeebies videos and interactive whiteboard activities.
- Brilliantly combines an online reading world with stunning eBooks and beautiful printed books to spark enthusiasm.
Reading journey through Barton Hill Academy
- PM books to support early reading
- Guided reading weekly, for all children (Bugclub, Rigby star and topic sets)
- 1:1 reading for children (amount dependent on need)
- Five minute boxes with trained teaching assistant
- Numbered books to progress through
- Accelerated reader programme embedded, including STAR testing
- Online reading with Bugclub e-books and RM Books
- Salford reading test
Barton Hill Academy
Barton Hill Road, Torquay, TQ2 8JA