Create a Hanging Indent
How to Create a Hanging Indent
in Google Docs
1. First, make sure the Google Docs ruler is visible.
- Click View [from menu under your document title] and make sure Show Ruler is checked.
- If it isn’t, click on it, and the menu will appear beneath the menu bar.
2. Identify the symbols for indenting
- On the ruler there is a light blue rectangle at the left margin -- this represents the location of the First Line Indent.
- Beneath the light blue rectangle is a light blue inverted triangle -- this represents the location of the Left Indent.
- On the ruler, hover the cursor over each shape, and its function will be displayed.
3. Create the Hanging Indent
- Select the text you want indented. You can select a single paragraph or multiple paragraphs at a time
- On the ruler, drag the Left Indent (light blue inverted triangle) to the right as far as you want the text to be indented. As you will notice, the First Line Indent marker (light blue rectangle) will come along for the ride, and all your selected text will move to the right.
4. Finally, drag the First Line Indent marker (light blue rectangle) back to the left margin. It will move independently and your hanging indent will be created.