Our Board of Directors
Eric Walters, Board Chair Ericwalters77@yahoo.com
Steve Turpen, Treasurer Financial Consultant firstname.lastname@example.org
Responsibilities and Principles
- The Board of Directors is legally responsible and accountable for all aspects of nonprofit organization operations. It is expected to ensure that the organization operates for the public good and is publicly accountable.
- The Board is responsible for fiscal oversight, acting as the trustees of the organization on behalf of its funders and the community it serves.
- The Board and its individual members should take care to avoid problems created by Board member mismanagement, non-management, or self-dealing.
- The Board hires, supervises, and evaluates the Executive Director. The Executive Director generally hires, supervises, and evaluates all other staff.
- The Board provides direction for the organization: it sets the vision, agrees on organizational goals, authorizes programs to be operated, and sets policy. It plays a key role in strategic planning, and often approves an annual work plan with program objectives. It approves public policy positions if the organization engages in advocacy. Staff are responsible for policy and program implementation. Board members acting as program volunteers work under staff supervision.
- The Board of Directors evaluates the results of agency operations – as well as its own performance. It helps determine whether plans and goals are met. It reviews formal evaluation results and looks broadly at programs individually and together, to see how they contribute to organizational mission and goals.
- Board members play a crucial role in resource development, establishing fundraising goals and helping to identify, contact, and make visits to potential funders. Our Board policy is that Board Members will assist in getting resources or give of their own.
- The Board of Directors establishes personnel policies and procedures, and serves as the last point of appeal in the grievance process. The staff implements personnel policies.