ISSUES & Resources
Overpopulation is the root cause of all environmental problems that are caused by human activity. Advances in human technology (agriculture, transportation, medicine, etc.) have made it possible for us to support a larger world population, especially after the Industrial Revolution. This has resulted in the Great Acceleration, with an exponential increase in human population and therefore an exponential increase in all kinds of human activity. The human impact on the environment is so large that scientists have declared a new geological age, the Anthropocene Epoch.
- 30 Sobering Images Of Humanity's Impact On The Environment --- Shocking photos of the human impact on the environment with text commentary.
- Too Many People Want to Travel --- An article about the growing problem of overtourism.
- Global population growth, box by box --- A TED Talk that makes it easy to understand some population growth trends (和訳・日本語字幕有り).
- How will we survive when the population hits 10 billion? --- A TED Talk. A bit difficult (no Japanese subtitles), but very interesting ideas: we humans are an "outbreak species".
- Maps that show us who we are (not just where we are) --- A TED Talk with very interesting maps that show information about the human population (和訳・日本語字幕有り).